Location and Job Title:
Surprise Lake Camp
307 7th Ave.- Suite 900
New York, NY 10001
Surprise Lake Camp is an independent camp with an affiliation to the JCC association.
Surprise Lake Camp is seeking a dynamic, experienced farmer / educator to oversee its growing farm,
food, environmental and educational program.
This position is full-time for the summer (mid-June through the end of August) and part-time (with the
option of housing provided) in the spring and fall. In addition to housing, SLC provides a competitive
salary based on experience.
For more information and to apply please send a resume and cover letter to Jennifer Ambrose:
- Engage in discussions with year round staff members to coordinate farm plan and set up.
- Develop, in coordination with other staff, a program that gives campers an opportunity to work on
the farm and to learn about where food comes from, healthy nutrition, food justice, and Jewish
values relating to food.
- Coordinate with Jewish specialists and Teva specialists to create synergies between the
- Prepare the farm for planting.
- Coordinate purchasing for the farm based on the farm budget.
- Purchase seeds and trees and plant and cultivate them.
- Maintain a presentable appearance for the farm, and take care of farm equipment.
- Create and provide farm experiences for spring and fall groups.
- Harvest produce when appropriate for campers/staff to eat either when visiting the farm or in the
- Arrange to donate farm produce to local charities.
- Participate in all camp events during the summer as needed.
- Prepare farm for winter.
- Write final report describing how the farm ran, the program, and suggestions for things to repeat
and to change for next year.
- Write or help write any reports needed for grants, donors, the Board.
- Serve in shmira (OD) rotation.
- Supervised by and responsible to Head Caretaker when camp is not in session and Specialist
Coordinator when camp is in session.
Candidate should have a background in farming, gardening and Jewish environmental education.