Location and Job Title:
Early Childhood Director
801 Percy Warner Blvd
Nashville, TN 37205
The GJCC Early Childhood Learning Center embraces families of all backgrounds and cultivates a connection to Jewish values and traditions. With practices rooted in research, our teachers work collaboratively to nurture the gifts of each child, encourage a questioning mind, spark creativity and foster independence. The Gordon Jewish Community Center (GJCC) is at the center of Jewish life in Nashville, providing recreational, educational, social and cultural programs and services to over 1,700 member families. Located on a beautiful 52-acre campus in west Nashville, it is a place where non-Jews are welcome to join, play and learn side by side with their Jewish neighbors. Competitive salary and benefits including health insurance, vacation, Center membership and discounts. THE GJCC is an equal opportunity employer.
The Early Childhood Learning Center (ECLC) Director provides leadership and vision to all GJCC programs serving 100 children from six weeks through five years. Bringing best practices in early childhood education, the Director will be responsible for curriculum development and implementation, promoting and nurturing a welcoming and engaging atmosphere, and ensuring standards of excellence in each classroom. S/he will be excited by directing a high quality Early Childhood program.
The Director should possess outstanding relationship management skills and have a passion for working with children and families. S/he must be flexible and adaptable with the ability to work collaboratively with ECLC and agency-wide staff, parents and community members. This full-time, full-year position is part of the management team of the GJCC and reports to Executive Director.
The Early Childhood Director (ECD) will be responsible for:
- Ensuring a safe, healthy and intellectually stimulating environment for all participants, children, families, and staff, in ECLC programs.
- Successful implementation of a developmental, child centered, constructivist and Reggio Emilia inspired approach to teaching, with both secular and Judaic components.
- Supervision of an Assistant Early Childhood Director and 30 teachers and enrichment specialists, including providing orientation and continuing in-service training.
- Compliance with TN DHS licensing, 3-star rating and NAEYC principles.
- Development and maintenance of budgets to ensure that programs are effective and performed at a progressively high level with appropriate resources.
- Development, monitoring and administration of operating procedures for the ECLC
- Effective and timely communication with parents and staff.
- Work with JCC Marketing department to develop publicity materials for the marketing and recruitment of ECLC participants.
- Implementation of Professional Development for teaching staff
- Organize and work with Early Childhood Parent Committee to ensure that the committee is properly staffed, mentored, facilitated and guided by lay leadership.
- Strategic planning of classrooms to embrace the changing demographics and developing norms in early childhood education.
- Participation in GJCC Center-wide organizational tasks, programs and events.
- Attendance at professional conferences as time and funding permits
- Forward thinking and well-versed in current educational theories and early childhood curricula
- Experience within a Reggio Emilia inspired school, highly preferred
- Successful at building strong, mutually respectful relationships
- 5+ years demonstrated leadership and supervisory experience
- Bachelor's degree ECE/Education, Master's preferred
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn and embrace Jewish life, traditions and culture, as well as ability to integrate these concepts appropriately in program, environment and with staff
- Strong organizational, writing and speaking skills and talent for articulating the organization's mission and core values