Location and Job Title:
The Jewish Community Center of Greater Columbus
1125 College Ave.
Columbus, OH 43209
PLEASE USE EMAIL: Careers@ColumbusJCC.org THANK YOU!
At the Jewish Community Center of Greater Columbus, we create friendships that last a lifetime. We educate and care for children, challenge and inspire adults, and provide a welcoming Jewish space for the community. Currently, there are more than 6,500 members of the JCC representing approximately 3,800 households in Central Ohio. With locations in east, northeast and northwest Columbus, the JCC is committed to continuing to play a significant role in community life in Central Ohio. Each year, over 200,000 people come through our doors to vote, donate blood, receive health screenings and immunizations, take classes, attend camp, preschool, shows, exhibits and to play sports. Each year, nearly 2,000 people of all ages and fitness levels use our JCC s state-of-the-art fitness facilities weekly to maintain their health and well-being. Approximately 500 children ages 6 weeks to 5 years attend Early Childhood Programs at the JCC s three ECE sites, where they begin to form their Jewish identity. Nearly 700 children and youth swam, played and learned at JCC summer camps this year. Children are making Jewish memories and friendships to last a lifetime. The JCC serves 13,000 freshly prepared Kosher lunches each year to our frail elderly adults and provides intellectually stimulating programming. For many, this is their only hot meal of the day. We take pride in improving the daily lives of all the people in our community.
- Maintain Kashruth standards in the JCC Main Kitchen, ECS Kitchen, Snack Bar, and J Cafe.
- Check all orders to insure Kashruth and place in proper place in storage room.
- Turn on all heating devices including ovens, stove, fryers and hot boxes both in main and preschool kitchen.
- Supervise all food preparation; Mashgiach must be present for any meat food prep or when dairy & pareve prepared at the same time. Observe cooking of lunch and make sure that all ingredients used meet Vaad standards. This includes checking for appropriate kosher symbols.
- Assist in the preparation and serving of food as instructed.
- Clean and inspect fruits and vegetables for insects commonly found on those fruits and vegetables (broccoli, romaine lettuce, etc.).
- Seal all meat and other food items such as cheese that no longer have (sealed) identifying marks so that they will be ready for future use. Mashgiach responsible for unsealing it before prep begins. Help package and seal (and initial [in Hebrew]) all items that are delivered to other sites and help package for delivery. Make sure that the status of food delivered is clearly marked (meat/pareve/dairy/fish). Meat or fish sent off site must be double sealed with Mashgiachs sticker; other food must be single sealed. This includes the Mashgiachs responsibility to seal equipment for an event if the Vaad deem necessary.
- Make sure that there is a separation of meat and dairy utensils and mark appropriately. Mashgiach responsible to seal cabinets or ovens if the Vaad deem necessary.
- Clean the dishwasher per Vaad standards between meat and dairy (and use different racks).
- Participate in kosherizing equipment for Passover and when the status of the items have been compromised as well as koshering utensils or ovens that do not belong to either JCC or Vaad approved shul. (Kashering will be performed by, or in presence of, Mashgiach under guidelines set forth by the Vaad.)
- Ascertain that all wines bear a kosher certification acceptable to the Vaad, and is labeled Mevushal.
- Ensure that JCC Catering signs (with Supervised by Buckeye Kosher) are displayed at catered events.
- Advise and teach Kitchen Staff and JCC Staff the rules and history of Kashruth. All non-endorsed (Non Kosher) product that comes to the facility will be removed from the facility as soon as possible. The product may only remain in the facility until the next delivery from their distributor. Record these products in a log.
- Dedicate one cooler for meat and the other for dairy. In the event that there is spill-over from one of them, only factory sealed items with dairy or meat written on them may be put in the other cooler. This is to make it clear to all that this item is in the wrong freezer due to spill-over.
- Help serve Snack in JCC preschool and Senior Lunch as needed.
- Liaison between the JCC and the Vaad Ho-ir with all Kashruth issues.
- All other kitchen/catering duties as assigned.
- Provide Vaad supervision for all JCC programs and events.
- These may involve additional hours and pay to be determined on a case by case basis by JCC supervisor.
- Knowledge and Education - Minimum Required or Preferred: High School Diploma; Vaad trained
- Experience - Minimum Required or Preferred: 2+ years Mashgiah experience; 2+ years experience in a professional kitchen
- Special skills: Passion for Jewish customs, culture and food; thorough understanding of, appreciation of and respect for Kashrut; ability to work flexible schedule including days, evenings and weekends; ability to influence other; strong managerial skills.