Location and Job Title:
Summer Camp Staff
JCC of Greater Ann Arbor
2935 Birch Hollow Drive
Ann Arbor, MI 48108
Summer is the best time of the year, so why not spend it at a place that has everything? From sports and boating, to crafts and games, to fishing and overnights, Camp Raanana at the Michigan United Conservation Club's (MUCC) Out of Doors Center at Cedar Lake in Chelsea, MI does day camp the right way! For more information, or to apply, please visit: http://camp.jccannarbor.org
- Responsible for the safety and welfare of all campers in assigned group: day-to-day involvement with campers as individuals, imparting of camp rules, policies, and traditions
- Build a strong and positive relationship with each and every camper assigned to group: help every camper make friends, become acclimated to camp life, grow toward his/her potential, and become a part of the community
- Be a responsible, dedicated role model to the campers, conducting yourself properly while participating in all required activities with enthusiasm (including swimming daily with the campers)
- Supervise junior staff and campers, acting as a guardian and advocate, putting their best interests first
- Accommodate the families, instructions for daily routines within group routines wherever possible
- Ensure that daily communication with parents/families is open, respectful and confidential
- Encourage creativity amongst staff and campers
- Teach, assist, or participate in Chugim (electives) as assigned
- Participate in and help plan group and all-camp programs as needed
- Participate regularly and enthusiastically in all Judaic programming including (but not limited to) Shabbat programming
- Set up, clean up, and maintenance of all indoor and outdoor spaces and equipment as assigned
- Be flexible in response to current and emergency situations and to shifts in responsibilities and assignments when camp is underway
- Listen to, respect, follow the decisions, and report any emergencies or any inappropriate behavior to the Camp Director (Waterfront/Assistant Waterfront Directors during waterfront or water activities)
- Listen to, and respect opinions of other staff including fellow Counselor's-In-Training (CIT's), lifeguards, and counselors
- Be a responsible, dedicated role model to the campers
- Supervise campers participation in structured and unstructured activities
- Provide organized, punctual, and intentional leadership, creativity, direction and supervision during activities, trips in and around the camp
Work with other staff members to provide a quality experience for all members of the camp community
- Attend all pre-camp meetings, trainings, and orientations while making yourself available for all other related dates, activities, and camp events
- Promote and model a professional attitude in daily work
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the Camp Director
Ability to communicate orally and in writing
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards
- Ability to enforce safety regulations and execute appropriate emergency procedure
- Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid.
- Must be able to assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, injury) and possess strength and endurance require to maintain constant supervision of campers
Activities may include / require:
- Prolonged standing, walking
- Hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity to manipulate equipment
- The need to lift up to 50 lbs o Prolonged exposure to outdoor elements (sun, wind, rain, etc.) and animals or insects (bugs, etc.)
- Training Staff training will be held prior to camp beginning.
- Applicant must be able to attend staff training.
- Compensation commensurate with experience.
- Absences unpaid.
Certain overnights mandatory Camp Locations and Hours
Camp Raanana @ Cedar Lake Michigan United Conservation Club 2500 Pierce Road Chelsea, MI 48118
Camp Raanana @ Cedar Lake (9:00 AM-3:30 PM), mid-June through mid-August.
You will take a bus from the J to Cedar Lake and back each day.
Camp Raanana @ the J Jewish Community Center of Greater Ann Arbor 2935 Birch Hollow Drive Ann Arbor, MI 48108
Camp Raanana @ the J takes place for one week in August Pre & Post Camp Morning Drop-off (8:30 AM) & Afternoon Pick-up (4:00 PM) Pre-Camp (7:30-8:30 AM) & Post-Camp (4:00-6:00 PM)
Ability to work Pre or Post Camp for more pay
- Desire and attitude to work with children in both small group and large group setting
- Ability to accept guidance, constructive feedback, and support
- Ability to assist in teaching activities and running programs
- Willingness and ability to take responsibility for safety and security of campers
- Ability to communicate with, relate to, and serve as an example to all campers
- Proven management, good communication and organizational skills, and the ability to be creative and take direction/instruction
- Minimum age requirement: completion of 12th grade/entering first year college (or equivalent)