Location and Job Title:
Preschool Assistant Teacher
YM & YWHA of Washington Heights & Inwood
54 Nagle Ave
New York, NY 10040
The Y of Washington Heights preschool program is looking for an Assistant Teacher for a group of three year olds within its play and inquiry-based program. The Assistant Teacher will:
- Work directly with students to support and enhance their learning within our classroom of three year olds.
- Collaborate with lead teacher to plan units of study based on the interests of students and families.
- Create and actively promote a welcoming environment where every child and parent is treated with dignity and respect.
- Along with the lead teacher, develop and implement an exciting and creative classroom experience incorporating science, cooking, large motor activities, waterplay, story time and art.
- Establish meaningful relationships with families and maintain effective communication, both oral and written.
- Experience working with young children in a group setting.
- The ability to work within a team approach,
- Knowledge of early childhood education best practices.
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited college preferred.
- Skills in art, theater, music and literacy a plus.
$35,000 - $45,000
Established in 1917 as one of the first Jewish community centers in New York City, the YM & YWHA of Washington Heights and Inwood (the Y) is a thriving and visionary not-for-profit human services organization in Northern Manhattan. We welcome people of diverse ethnicities and all ages, from pre-school to older adults, into the Y family with a wide range of educational, recreational and social services and programs that focus on improving the quality of their lives. With a long and distinguished history, the Y is a multi-service community center that is well known for its nurturing environment and non-judgmental philosophy.