Location and Job Title:
Camp, Youth, and Family Assistant Director
Jewish Community Center of Greater Ann Arbor
2935 Birch Hollow Drive
Ann Arbor, MI 48108
The Camp, Youth, and Family Assistant Director is part of the core team providing programming for youth and families at the JCC of Greater Ann Arbor. The primary responsibilities of this position include growing existing camp, youth, and family programs, developing new initiatives, and coordinating with other JCC professionals and community partners. This position is both managerial and hands-on working with children. This position reports directly to the Camp and Youth Director, and works closely with the Director of Child and Family Services and the Child and Family Services Office Manager.
Specific Responsibilities for Camp:
- Assume leadership of camp in absence of Camp Director
- Assist in vision, organization, and implementation of camp program and new camp initiatives in partnership with camp leadership.
- Assist with interviewing, hiring, and training camp staff. Work with the Office Manager to inventory and order all supplies pertaining to summer camp programming.
- Promote a positive environment that fosters fun, safety, and camp's values
- Ensure the safety, growth, and inclusion of campers and staff.
- Resolve conflicts drawing on camp values, policies, and procedures.
- Troubleshoot issues in the operation of camp activities and/or programs as they arise.
- Partner with the Camp Director in communication with parents and guardians.
- Work with the Director to develop and implement strategies for summer camp staff and camper retention during the offseason. Create new programs that engage the camp and/or general JCC community.
- Model the JCC's values in programming, communication, and connection with members, campers, families, and coworkers.
Specific Responsibilities for Youth:
- Supervise the day to day operation of the JCC's KidZone school-age aftercare program.
- Lead vacation day programs. Includes planning program content, engaging and supervising staff, supply ordering and set-up, as well as necessary communication and marketing.
Specific Responsibilities for Families:
- Work with the Camp and Youth Director to plan and execute JCC community programs serving families.
- Administer the JCC's PJ Library Program
- Develop small-scale, grass-roots family programs to help build connections between families in our community.
- Develop relationships with JCC families by participating in JCC programs including PJ Library programs, Holiday events, JCC membership events, and Early Childhood Center events. Must be available with sufficient notice, to attend events on evenings and weekends.
- Represent the JCC at community-wide events.
- Create working relationships with JCC families, religious schools, congregations, and other Jewish organizations.
- Perform any other reasonable duties as directed by the Camp, Youth and Family Director for the successful operation of the Camp, Youth, and Family Programs.
- $32,000 - $36,000 depending on experience
This position is classified as exempt. The Jewish Community Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Work to job completion, evenings and weekends required. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive, and the employee will also perform other responsibilities related to business duties as assigned. The JCC of Greater Ann Arbor reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Bachelor's degree. A degree in education, recreation or another related field is a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal (relationship development) and communication skills
- Experience with program management and implementation
- Strong critical and creative thinking skills
- Ability to hire, train, and supervise staff
- Mature disposition, creativity, outgoing and energetic personality, with a desire to be an active team player.
- Experience in youth and camp programs as a staff member
- Ability to work evenings and weekends, and overnights as needed
- Knowledge of Jewish Holidays and customs and a background in informal Jewish education is a plus.
- Knowledge and understanding of issues of youth growth and development
- Highly organized, attentive to detail and ability to work independently; comfortable learning new information systems, a self-starter
- Sense of humor and serious interest in having fun
$25,000 - $35,000
The Jewish Community Center of Greater Ann Arbor serves the whole Ann Arbor area with childcare, youth, camp, cultural, educational, and older adult programs. All are welcome at the J!