Location and Job Title:
Day Camp Communications Coordinator
YM & YWHA of Washington Heights & Inwood
54 Nagle Ave
New York, NY 10040
Camp Twelve Trails gives children entering Kindergarten - 10th grade the best of both specialty and traditional day camp programs. It is comprised of five Neighborhoods (elective tracks): Play, Create, Explore, Discover, and Grow that allow campers to strengthen their skills in their favorite specialty while encouraging them to explore new areas. Our program is rooted in universally shared values central to Jewish life. These values are incorporated in everything
we do, with the hope that it encourages our staff and campers to be the best versions of themselves.
The Communication Coordinator position is vital in helping tell the story of Camp Twelve Trails. The person in this position has the unique opportunity to use his/her organizational and creative skills to document camp's mission of providing children with a meaningful summer experience. Through creation and implementation of camp's communication plan, this position makes sure our camp families can know what really happens at camp and what makes it so special. The Communication Coordinator will work closely with Camp Photographers/Videographers to document and share Twelve Trails' summer with camp families and the wider public. This is a great role for someone who enjoys working outdoors and interacting with kids.
DUTIES PRE CAMP
- Work with Camp Director to create an in-season camp communication plan, using the channels below, to guarantee that the many different aspects of camp are documented during the summer:
- Social media (Instagram and Facebook)
- Camp Blog & Photo Albums
- In the lead-up to the start of camp, deploy e-newsletters to enrolled families and schedule several social media posts to go live each week.
- Attend training sessions.
DUTIES DURING CAMP
- Post daily content to camp social media accounts being diligent about only posting content of children who have signed photo waivers.
- Each week post multiple blog posts touching upon each of the 5 neighborhoods:
- Sourcing content from neighborhoods and tribes
- Work with Camp Director to effectively share the story of camp.
- File Management:
- Upload and manage visual content in the camp's photo archive
- Ensure files are organized and tagged correctly for easy access
- Identify content to be used during the off-season
- Assign staff to take pictures daily of camp and assist with the upload process.
- Work with Leadership staff to ensure the documentation of daily programming including special events.
- Manage sign-out system for camp media equipment.
- All staff riding camp buses are responsible for supporting Bus Captains (supervisors) with supervision and engagement of campers.
- Strong knowledge of social media and marketing best practices, including:
- Sound judgment about what is suitable to post
- Experience managing social media accounts in a business setting
- Strong copywriting experience.
- Ability to teach skills to other staff members.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, communication, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to remain calm and maintain perspective under pressure.
- Commitment to work collaboratively with others.
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to changing needs.
- June 27 - Aug 16, 2024, including 40-45 hours of staff training in May and June.
- Mondays through Fridays, during the summer (June 27 - Aug 16, 2024).
- $5,000- $5,750 for the season.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other functions and responsibilities may change or may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
YM & YWHA of Washington Heights & Inwood provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law.
Established in 1917 as one of the first Jewish community centers in New York City, the YM & YWHA of Washington Heights and Inwood (the Y) is a thriving and visionary not-for-profit human services organization in Northern Manhattan. We welcome people of diverse ethnicities and all ages, from pre-school to older adults, into the Y family with a wide range of educational, recreational and social services and programs that focus on improving the quality of their lives. With a long and distinguished history, the Y is a multi-service community center that is well known for its nurturing environment and non-judgmental philosophy.