You are here: Home
| Search for a Job
Location and Job Title:
Berkeley Afterschool Teacher
Jewish Community Center of the East Bay
1414 Walnut St
Berkeley, CA 94709
The Afterschool Teacher will report directly to the Afterschool Leadership Team and will be instrumental in the success of the JCC East Bay's Afterschool Program. The person in this role must be able to create a positive educational climate where students can learn and grow. They will be responsible for preparing and implementing several weekly developmentally appropriate classes based on their personal passions and skills. They will work throughout the school year, from August until May, anywhere from 10-25 hours per week.
- Supervise children, including planning, preparation and implementation of developmental programming for children in kindergarten through fifth grade.
- Create instructional resources and curriculum that reflect the diverse educational, cultural, and linguistic backgrounds of the students served.
- Establish and communicate clear objectives for all learning activities.
- Ability to lead and supervise children in a variety of activities, both structured and unstructured.
- Observe and evaluate students' performance.
- Ability to tutor students on an individual level, in specific subjects as well as general schoolwork.
- Mindful and aware of children's needs to promote growth and foster curiosity.
- Manage student behavior in the classroom by invoking approved disciplinary action when necessary.
- Assist with parent communication when necessary.
Learning and Development
- Read and stay abreast of current topics in education.
- Participate in ongoing professional development and Jewish holiday training sessions.
- Act as a positive and appropriate role model for children and fellow staff. Contribute to overall program development; support the goals of the JCC East Bay.
- Maintain organization and cleanliness during programming; assist in keeping all afterschool spaces organized and operational.
- Communicate with Afterschool administrative team when supplies are needed.
- Participate in weekly staff meetings.
- Assist with daily walking pickups.
- Consistent attendance as an afterschool staff is required as this role is a critical component in the success of the afterschool program.
- Never be on cell phones while on the job (unless there is an emergency).
- Commitment to the mission of the JCC East Bay and knowledge of or commitment to learning about the Jewish community, values, and traditions.
- Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging work.
- Commitment to anti-bias education
Excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, vacation, sick pay, and holidays (including Jewish).The JCC East Bay is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. JCC East Bay policy prohibits unlawful discrimination in accordance with federal, state, and local laws. The JCC East Bay complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act and is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require particular accommodations during the application and interview process, please inform us of your needs so that we can provide accordingly.
Systemic inequities in hiring have caused women, people of color, LGBTQ+ folks, and others to apply to jobs only if they meet all of the qualifications. The JCC East Bay encourages you to apply anyway, as no one ever meets 100% of the qualifications. We look forward to your application.
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- 2+ years of childcare or equivalent experience.
- Must have experience working with children grades K-5 and be able to plan appropriate activities for different age groups.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to organize tasks, and develop and implement plans to efficiently meet organizational goals.
- Ability to lead a classroom of children.
- Ability to work in a team.
- Ability to push/pull and lift/carry objects weighing 50 pounds.
- Ability to walk and stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to sit on floors and chairs, and to get up and down quickly.
- Ability to bend from knees and waist to help a child.
- Ability to maneuver in confined lavatories to aid children with toilet needs.
- Ability to respond without delay to needs of young children.
- Regular and consistent attendance and ability to work a full shift; must be available Monday through Friday from 1pm-6pm and Wednesdays 12:30pm-6pm.
$35,000 - $45,000
The JCC East Bay is a welcoming home for people of all ages and life stages. Our mission is to create healthy communities inspired by Jewish values, culture, and tradition. We build interpersonal relationships, foster learning and inspiration, and explore Jewish life. The JCC's core programs include intergenerational Jewish holiday celebrations; early childhood education and preschool; camp and afterschool programs; and provocative cultural arts and civic engagement events. The JCC serves and reflects the diverse residents of the East Bay, offering gathering spaces for the Jewish and broader community.