Location and Job Title:
Director of Day Camps @ The J, Stamford JCC
JCC of Stamford
1035 Newfield Ave
Stamford, CT 06905
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to Rachel Beckwith at firstname.lastname@example.org
Purpose/Scope of Responsibility
The JCC Camp Director oversees the creation, promotion, staffing, curriculum and administrative functions of all camp programs. This position has oversight and supervision responsibilities of staff and programs. The Camp Director leads all efforts to develop and deliver an annual array of camp programs and opportunities that are fresh, current and keep pace with current trends.The Camp Director will work closely with all Early Learning and Youth and Family professionals to leverage JCC full year/full time talent to build and engage an amazing Camp community.
Key Areas of Responsibilities
Leadership & Vision
- Establish goals, benchmarks and evaluation for all camp programs.
- Actively engage and energize direct reports, colleagues, camp staff, families, alumni, lay leaders and other stakeholders.
- Ensure effective systems to track progress and regularly evaluate program components to measure successes that can be effectively communicated to the board, funders and other constituents.
Recruitment and Retention
- Develop and implement a year-round marketing strategy to ensure successful recruitment and retention of campers and year-round participants. Works with Stamford JCC Program Directors and Marketing department to develop initiatives to support recruitment and retention strategies and goals.
- Actively engage the Greater Stamford community to meet with potential campers, parents and partners.
- Create year-round camp programs to attract new campers and keep current families engaged and connected.
- Ensure development and implementation of innovative and meaningful programming for all camp programs.
- Implement programming for children, families and staff which will encourage engagement in year-round experiences.
- Develop and oversee all systems and procedures of registration and camp administration.
- Ensure consistency in policies and procedures across all camps and programs.
Supervision and Staffing
- Hire and oversee summer staff. Meet regularly with camp leadership team to ensure proper supervision and evaluation of all camp staff.
- Utilize JCC full time program and childcare professionals to maximum potential.
- Prepare and lead camp orientation and in-service trainings.
- Working with the Finance department and Executive Team to plan and track all program budgets, monthly statements and forecasts.
- Expand program revenue through business planning.
- Develop and engage a JCC camp committee
- Serve as staff liaison to Camp JCC committee to develop and implement long range plans.
- Identify, recruit and develop lay leadership to ensure a solid plan of succession.
- Three to Five years of camp management and administrative experience.
- Strong knowledge of Jewish culture, heritage and traditions
- Budgetary/financial skills and experience preferred
- Proven ability to effectively collaborate with internal team, cross-functional team, and external parties in a rapidly growing environment.
Required Attributes and Competencies
- Good judgment in decision-making; display initiative, enthusiasm and strong people skills.
- Flexible, willing to take appropriate risks, and able to adapt to the changing needs of the agency and community.
- Good organizational skills and follow through.
- Strong supervision skills
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work as a team member.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills and the ability to present at public platforms.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, walk, bend, and use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds (safety/weight belt provided, if requested).
$65,000 - $75,000
The Stamford Jewish Community Center is a cultural, educational and recreational center, offering exceptional programs, classes and special events designed to enrich the mind, body and spirit. While we are driven by the Jewish values of welcoming guests, kindness, respect, and communal responsibility, we warmly welcome people of all ages, faiths, ethnicities and backgrounds.