You are here: Home
| Search for a Job
Location and Job Title:
Lessans Camp JCC Summer Staff
Bender JCC of Greater Washington
6125 Montrose Rd
Rockville, MD 20852
About the Bender JCC:
The Bender Jewish Community Center in Rockville, Maryland is a premier community center at the heart of Jewish life in Montgomery County, operating a full scale health and fitness center, pre-school, day camp and variety of education and arts programs.
We create a welcoming and inclusive environment, connecting the people of our Jewish community with each other, Israel, and the broader community. We inspire individuals of all ages and backgrounds to enhance their social, physical, intellectual and spiritual well-being through programs of excellence rooted in Jewish values.
Lessans Camp JCC at the Bender Jewish Community Center of Greater Washington is hiring for the following positions:
- Inclusion Counselor
- Kochavim Counselor
- Junior Counselor
- Senior Counselor
- Unit Head
- Swim Instructor
- Specialist (Art, Dance, Drama, Music, Rock Wall, Sports, STEM)
- Camp Photographer
- Health Room Administrator
The Counselors are responsible for implementing the day-to-day camp programs while actively supervising campers ages 4 and up. The Specialists run the specialized programs that are part of the Camp experience.
Click here to view position specific job descriptions and to apply.
Why this role matters:
Lessans Camp JCC is one of our core programs, and our seasonal camp staff play a major role in fostering a safe, engaging, and fun environment for campers. This is an exciting opportunity to work directly with our community and have a significant impact on the experience of our Lessans Camp JCC participants.
Core Responsibilities may include:
- Engage and supervise the campers in programs and activities while under the position's care.
- Demonstrate sensitivity to the needs of campers served, interact appropriately with campers in a variety of situations, and appropriately model behavior and use positive behavior-management techniques - enthusiasm, sense of humor, patience, and self-control.
- Lead activities for campers ages 4 and up.
- Build curriculum with the Program Director for each camp session.
- Integrate Informal Jewish Education into programs and activities.
- Bring an enthusiasm for each program area to the camp community.
- Be creative, positive, enthusiastic and flexible.
- Take part in the daily clean-up of the program area, including putting all toys and equipment away.
- Supervise in the pool with campers, assisting swim staff with their requests and needs, working hands-on with campers in the pool.
- Effectively communicate with supervisor, staff and campers.
- Comply with and participate in the County, State and American Camp Association requirements.
- Recognize, respond and report to Unit Head or Head Counselor any environmental and/or other hazards related to the activity or the program.
- Attend all required orientation meetings, staff meetings, and trainings.
Qualifications may include:
- Ability to physically assist campers in and out of the pool.
- Ability to assist campers with reapplying sunscreen.
- Ability to change soiled clothes as needed.
- Ability to get on the floor to participate and supervise activities.
- Ability to spend your camp day outdoors and walk and travel long distances.
- Ability to move equipment and supplies as required.
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds.
- Willingness and ability to wear a mask for the entirety of the 7-hour camp day, as needed.
- Prior experience working with school-aged children preferred.
- CPR and First Aid certification preferred.
- Able to communicate clearly and effectively with campers, parents, and peers.
- Strong written and spoken language skills.
- Knowledge of typical development in school-aged children.
- Ability to get to and from work each day.
- Recommended COVID-19 vaccination.
Must be available the entire camp season starting on June 20 going through mid-August.
To apply, go to: https://jccgw.campintouch.com/ui/forms/application/staff/App
with any questions.
The Bender JCC of Greater Washington is one of the largest metropolitan JCCs in the country. Our mission is create a welcoming and inclusive environment, connecting the people of our Jewish community with each other, Israel, and the broader community. We inspire individuals of all ages and backgrounds to enhance their social, physical, intellectual and spiritual well-being through programs of excellence rooted in Jewish values.
The Bender JCC is a neighborhood a place to feel comfortable, make new friends and meet up with old friends. It is your place to schmooze, work out, learn a new skill, discuss a book, listen to a concert, see a film and much more.