Location and Job Title:
Director of Berkeley Afterschool
Jewish Community Center of the East Bay
1414 Walnut St
Berkeley, CA 94709
The Director of Berkeley Afterschool reports directly to the Director of Afterschool Programs and is responsible for fostering and maintaining a positive environment for all staff and families in the Berkeley Afterschool program. The Director of Berkeley Afterschool will operate the Berkeley Afterschool program in accordance with JCC policies, procedures, and state licensing standards to provide a nurturing and safe environment. This role will supervise a team of teachers and will help to push the vision and mission of the JCC East Bay forward. The Director of Berkeley Afterschool will support Summer Camp in the months when the Berkeley Afterschool program is not in session.
- Maintain appropriate staffing levels; administer policies and procedures.
- Monitor and file daily student attendance sheets.
- Create and maintain child files to ensure compliance with California Community Care Licensing (CCCL).
- Create and maintain all staff files to ensure compliance with CCCL.
- Manage all facility required licensing documentation to ensure compliance with CCCL.
- Coordinate with finance department regarding schedule changes.
- Manage teachers of groups grades K-5.
- Work collaboratively with the Director of Afterschool Programs to oversee and update annual budget and monthly variance reports.
- Provide quality photos and text to the Marketing Manager for weekly Afterschool newsletter.
- Manage program registration on Ultracamp.
- Order and maintain supplies as necessary.
- With Director of Afterschool Programs, guide vision, strategies, and implementation of Berkeley Afterschool programming.
- Work with staff to produce high quality programming.
- Create, manage, monitor, and evaluate Specialty class/enrichment registration.
- Assist in implementation of experiences for alumni and current participants in all school age and youth programs.
- Assist in development of weekly lesson plans.
- Serve role at camp as determined by Camp Director.
- Assist Director of Afterschool Programs in determining and implementing student discipline and behavior management.
- Observe classrooms during Specialty/enrichment periods; help teachers resolve problems and identify ways to enhance the student experience.
- Assist with daily parent communication as necessary.
- Schedule and conduct tours for incoming families.
- Engage with parents on a daily basis to develop meaningful relationships.
- Participate in opportunities for parent community programs.
- Participate in the selection and evaluation of all Berkeley Afterschool Sstaff.
- With Director of Afterschool Programs, organize and plan staff training.
- Coordinate staff breaks, vacations, and substitutes.
- Work with staff to set goals and understand the expectations of the program.
- Perform at a high level in a fast-paced team environment, and handle and manage multiple projects to meet timelines and deadlines.
- Proactive leadership and consensus building skills.
- Goal-orientated and close attention to detail.
- Other duties as determined by the Director Afterschool Programs.
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum of 3 years of child care or teaching experience.
- 1-2 years of program management and/or program development experience.
- Is licensed or will take classes to obtain a director's license for afterschool programs.
- Experience working with children grades K-5 with the ability to plan appropriate activities for different age groups.
- Experience working in a nonprofit and/or educational institution.
- Bachelor's Degree in education or relevant field preferred.
- Exceptional written and verbal communications.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; able to motivate small but mighty teams.
- Proven experience in customer service and community relations.
- Commitment to the mission of the JCC East Bay and comfort with Jewish community, values, and traditions.
- Ability to lead and direct children in large group settings.
- Ability to walk and stand for extended periods of time while adhering to the needs of children grades K-5.
- Ability to maneuver in confined lavatories to aid children with toilet needs.
- Ability to respond without delay to needs of young children.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
Competitive salary commensurate with experience. Salary information will be shared one-on-one with candidates. Excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, vacation, sick pay, and holidays (including Jewish).
The JCC East Bay is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. JCC East Bay policy prohibits unlawful discrimination in accordance with federal, state, and local laws. The JCC East Bay complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act and is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require particular accommodations during the application and interview process, please inform us of your needs so that we can provide accordingly.
Systemic inequities in hiring have caused women, people of color, LGBTQ+ folks, and others to apply to jobs only if they meet all of the qualifications. The JCC East Bay encourages you to apply anyway, as no one ever meets 100% of the qualifications. We look forward to your application.
The JCC East Bay requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, and applicants are required to submit proof of vaccination prior to beginning employment. (As of January 31, 2022, the definition of fully vaccinated includes a booster shot.) In accordance with the law, the JCC East Bay will accommodate employees who cannot be administered the COVID-19 vaccine for medical/disability or religious reasons if to do so is not an undue hardship.
$55,000 - $65,000
The JCC East Bay is a welcoming home for people of all ages and life stages. Our mission is to create healthy communities inspired by Jewish values, culture, and tradition. We build interpersonal relationships, foster learning and inspiration, and explore Jewish life. The JCC's core programs include intergenerational Jewish holiday celebrations; early childhood education and preschool; camp and afterschool programs; and provocative cultural arts and civic engagement events. The JCC serves and reflects the diverse residents of the East Bay, offering physical gathering spaces for the Jewish and broader community