Location and Job Title:
Director of Development
760 Northfield Ave
West Orange, NJ 07052
JCC MetroWest in West Orange, New Jersey is seeking a Director of Development. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Director of Development is a full-time role leading the financial development function of JCC MetroWest. The Director will create a departmental vision in line with the JCCs mission and strategic plan and is responsible for overseeing all aspects of the agencys annual and planned fundraising initiatives.
The Directors responsibilities include the direct supervision of and responsibility for annual campaigns, corporate sponsorship programs, planned giving, foundation and grant funding, major donors and next generation giving. In addition, the Director collaborates closely with the Director of Community Engagement in planning special events in order to maximize donations and build donor relationships.
The Director must be able to work with tight deadlines and be flexible with work schedule and hours, including availability during evenings and weekends when necessary. The Director needs to understand philanthropic principles and be able to build meaningful relationships.
The successful applicant should have proven experience as a fundraising and development specialist, with several years of management experience in a non-profit or similar environment.
RESPONSIBILITIES / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
- Create an annual development plan and budget as well as a strategically forward-looking three-year plan to achieve the goal of raising contributions.
- Work with program staff to help them identify potential donors and make connections.
- Work with program staff on their annual fundraising special events.
- Work with camp team to develop alumni circles.
- Plan for and manage capital and special campaigns, as necessary.
- Participate in major institutional decision-making, especially as related to development, such as setting fundraising goals and integrating development strategies into the JCCs overall mission.
- Develop new annual giving programs.
- Create a program for planned giving.
- Manage funds for current events and develop new events to increase the JCCs appeal to new target groups of individual donors.
- Identify new opportunities and support ongoing efforts in the attainment of grants from government and foundation sources. Write and submit grant applications, proposals, sponsorship packages, etc., on behalf of the JCC.
- Establish strategies to approach funders, both corporate and individuals, for significant financial support, and develop creative ways to promote the JCCs programs for support.
- Direct the continuation and enhancement of a growing major gifts portfolio of donors. Identify new funders and develop personalized stewardship plans for top major donors. Organize all stewardship activities to ensure that the JCC communicates and nurtures relationships with donors on a regular basis.
- Together with Accounting Department, ensure proper protocols are in place to receive and account for donations. Ensure all donor records are accurately recorded into the JCCs electronic database as well as ensure the database is up-to-date. Ensure all donor correspondence is accurate and sent in a timely fashion (thank you letters, tax letters, etc.).
- Collaborate with the JCCs Marketing Department to build and enhance public relations efforts, including defining message and creating necessary collateral material.
- Mobilize, support and train Board Members and other volunteers to fundraise for the organization.
- Other duties as assigned by Chief Executive Officer.
This list of responsibilities and essential functions is not intended to be exhaustive. JCC MetroWest reserves the right to revise this job description as needed to comply with needs of the organization.
WORK ENVIRONMENT / PHYSICAL CONDITIONS
- Operates primarily in a professional office environment.
- Availability to work outside of traditional business hours.
- Must be able to travel to meetings and events.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to Stuart Raynor at email@example.com
- BA / BS degree is required.
- Five to ten years of increasingly responsible development experience with a solid understanding of fundraising concepts and demonstrated success in capital/endowment campaigns, major gifts, planned giving, direct mail and special events is required.
- Ability to organize and implement strategic plans (financial, business development, marketing, branding, etc.).
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team and to perform and prioritize competing tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail.
- Understanding of government and private foundation cycles and priorities.
- Superior organization, communication, interpersonal and writing skills along with a talent for creating communal collaborations and partnerships.
- A deep commitment to the JCCs mission and vision.
- Knowledge of Jewish holidays and customs.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite is required (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access). Proficiency using Donor Perfect is strongly desired or a demonstrated ability to learn new software programs in support of ones work.
- High degree of discretion and ability to maintain strict confidentiality and data security.
$105,000 - $120,000
Welcome to Your JCC!
JCC MetroWest has been at the center of our community for 142 years, bringing people together while providing educational, social, cultural and fitness programs.
Our main facility, the Leon & Toby Cooperman JCC, located in West Orange, NJ, and our 20-acre day-camp, Camp Deeny Riback, located in Flanders, NJ serve the Jewish communities west of NYC, including Essex, Morris, and Union counties.