Location and Job Title:
Teacher Assistant - part-time
JCC of Mid-Westchester
999 Wilmot Rd
Scarsdale, NY 10583
Monday to Wednesday 8:30 AM to Noon.
Responsible for the general supervision and management of a group of children, and will work in cooperation with and under the supervision of the teacher for that group.
Key Responsibilities and Expectations:
- Assist, plan, and implement the daily program under the direction of the lead teacher. This includes planning activities for the children.
- Assist in planning, preparing, and caring for the environment. Make any suggestions that may benefit the program.
- Assistant teacher is responsible to fill in for the teacher as needed.
- Be familiar with all health and emergency policies of the program and be ready to implement them if necessary.
- Help with general housekeeping tasks.
- Assist the teachers in all appropriate ways. Ask questions if necessary. Continuous questions regarding the same topic are not necessary.
- Treat all children with dignity and respect and allow for individual differences. Deal with the children's individual needs and assist other staff with appropriate techniques. This may include diapering and/or taking a child to the bathroom.
- Attend all staff meetings and recommended training programs and conferences. Provide the director with documentation in accordance with licensing agency.
- Show initiative in the improvement of early childhood education, our program, and our curriculum.
- Supervise and interact with children in all activities. Maintain appropriate communication with staff, children, and families at all times.
- Be physically capable of performing all early childhood responsibilities involved in setting up, daily activities and clean up. These responsibilities include, but are not limited to sitting on the floor, swimming with children, carrying a gallon of milk, lifting a child off playground equipment if necessary, taking chairs off tables, etc.
- Inform the lead teacher or supervisor of any concerns or observations of a child or the environment that may be of interest or importance.
- Maintain an open, warm, and very professional relationship with all families. Be available for parent/teacher conferences as needed.
- Possess the educational requirements of the program's licensing agency.
- Be able to maintain a professional model towards the children, families, and co-workers at all times and be able to communicate professionally and openly
JCCMW is a non-profit organization dedicated to enriching the community by providing cultural, social, educational, recreational/fitness programs, human services, and Jewish identity-building opportunities to people of all ages and backgrounds. JCCMW programs serve people through all stages of life: young children, teens, adults, and seniors.
JCCMW has served the greater Westchester community since 1955 and is located on the border of New Rochelle, NY and Scarsdale, NY. This dynamic, engaging community center serves over 10,000 people each year.