Location and Job Title:
Camp & Youth Director
Jewish Community Center of the Lehigh Valley
702 N. 22nd St.
Allentown, PA 18104
The Camp & Youth Director has the overall responsibility for the development, planning, implementation, and evaluation of the JCC's youth and children's programs, including Camp JCC, the JLounge after-school program, Vacation Camp and Snow Days. The Youth & Camp Director plays an integral role in building our growing camp program and being an agent for change and positive growth. The Camp & Youth Director must be a self-starter, capable of working independently and also as part of a team of professionals. The Camp & Youth Director must be capable of "switching gears" - being approachable and fun when working with children and parents, while also being organized and professional when in the office.
The Camp & Youth Director is a full-time position, reporting to the Program Director. The position requires expertise working with children in an informal or experiential environment, such as summer camp or out-of-school programs. The Camp & Youth Director supervises a team of full-time and part-time staff, and works alongside a team of professional colleagues as part of the JCC's program team. This position is an excellent opportunity for a mid-career JCC professional (or someone in a related field) who is looking to take a second or third step in their career.
We are looking for someone who is energetic and motivated, with a positive, can-do attitude. The ideal candidate is a creative problem-solver who can work both independently and as part of a team as the situation dictates. To be successful, the Camp & Youth Director will need to be a self-starter, who is able to set goals and work toward them, and takes an interest in their own personal and professional development.
Salary range: $45,000 - $55,000
Benefits include: Health insurance (employer subsidized), vision insurance, dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan, generous PTO, flexible work schedule, free family membership, and program discounts.
- Provide supervision for part-time and seasonal staff members as assigned.
- Assist in preparing the annual budgets for the youth and camp departments.
- Help develop the brand identity for each department's programs in line with the organization's mission and market demand.
- Lead Camp JCC, the JCC's summer camp program (50% of time during the school year, 100% of time during the summer). This includes:
- Creating a camp culture instilled with spirit, positive energy, and a commitment to the organization's values.
- Growing program offerings, camper enrollment, and departmental revenue through enhanced marketing, outreach, relationship-building, programming, recruitment and sales.
- Serving as the camp director during the summer and supervising the camp leadership team consisting of year-round and seasonal employees.
- Hiring, recruiting, interviewing and evaluating camp staff.Planning and executing staff orientation and ongoing training, scheduling staff and leading staff meetings
- Overseeing the planning of all programmatic aspects of camp, such as field trips, special days, activity areas and Shabbat.
- Being responsible for all aspects of camper safety.
- Acting as the primary liaison with parents.
- Maintaining rooms and spaces inside and outside the building utilized by camp and coordinating facility usage with building services staff.
- Ensuring that camp operations are in line with American Camp Association standards.
- Plan and execute select programs and events throughout the year (25% of time during the school year), including classes and special events. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Vacation Camp (in partnership with the After-School Coordinator)
- Special events
- Family engagement programs
- Supervise the After-School Coordinator, who operates the JCC's after-school program, called JLounge (25% of time during the school year). This includes:
- Providing direct supervision for staff and serving as the primary backup when help is needed due to staffing shortages or staff time off.
- Helping to promote the program and recruit new students.
- Building relationships with parents, schools, and community leaders.
- Assisting with recruitment, hiring, and supervision staff members.
- Maintain children's and staff files in accordance with DHS and Keystone STARS guidelines for the JLounge and Vacation Camp programs.
- Ensure compliance of all DHS and Keystone STARS regulations and guidelines for the JLounge and Vacation Camp programs.
- Ensure compliance with all local (City of Allentown) and state regulations pertaining to the operation of a summer day camp.
- Take an active interest in career growth, including learning new skills, staying current on industry trends, and constantly innovating and taking calculated risks.
- Lead staff meetings and trainings.
- Participate as a member of the JCC's program team, providing support to co-workers.
- Conduct personal outreach to JCC members and participants, building relationships and leveraging them to encourage repeat and cross-department business.
- Regularly assess local competition to determine brand positioning and opportunities for growth.
- Associate's degree (bachelor's degree preferred)
- Minimum two years of professional experience working with children, preferably in an informal/experiential environment (such as summer camp or out-of-school programs)
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent computer skills, including the Microsoft Office suite, and the ability to learn new systems quickly
- CPR, AED and First Aid certification (or ability to obtain)
- Knowledge of the JCC field and Jewish culture, traditions and celebrations, or willingness to learn
45,000 - 55,000
The JCC of the Lehigh Valley in Allentown, Pennsylvania is a growing agency with strong roots in a town that is thriving with Jewish life, which includes eight synagogues, a Jewish day school, an extensive eruv, a mikvah, a kosher food truck, and an overnight camp. Cultural amenities include minor league baseball and hockey, a symphony and art museum, a zoo, multiple ski resorts, amusement parks, MusikFest (the country's largest free music festival), historical sites, and easy access to Philadelphia (1 hour) and New York City (2 hours). With a low cost of living and beautiful natural surroundings, the Lehigh Valley provides a high quality of life for individuals and families of all backgrounds and interests.