Location and Job Title:
Associate Director of Teen and Young Adult Engagement
YM & YWHA of Washington Heights & Inwood
54 Nagle Ave
New York, NY 10040
The Director of Teen and Young Adult Engagement will create and oversee programs engaging individuals Ages 11 through 24. The role will involve preparation for programs that take place at Camp Twelve Trails as well.
- Create opportunities to engage local community individuals, representing the diverse population of the region the Y serves, ages 11 through 24, in activities proposed to realize the mission of the YM&YWHA of Washington Heights & Inwood.
- Create programs that engage local community individuals, ages 11 through 30, in social justice activities.
- Plan and facilitate meetings, including guest speakers and special events to support the Jewish-Latinx Youth Council. This bi-weekly program brings together local Jewish and Latinx high school students to work on relationship-building through social action projects, communal and identity exploration, and joint learning.
- Plan and facilitate activities to support Encounters, a program that brings together Jewish and Latino adults ages 18-30 to explore issues of identity and social justice.
- Plan and facilitate activities that support Better Together. This program is responsible for bringing together young adults and seniors to engage in intergenerational activities.
- Produce special events that engage individuals ages 11 through 24 in activities that promote equity, cultural responsiveness, and social justice.
- Work with the managing directors and directors responsible for after-school programs, such as Be Me and those funded by SONYC, to transition participants to programs for individuals ages 11-30.
- Develop relationships with schools, Jewish organizations, and community organizations to interface with teens and young adults.
- Communicate with families of teens regularly about program highlights and any concerns that need to be addressed.
- Create and distribute marketing materials.
- Recruit participants to engage in programs.
- Lead teen camp programs, including Camp Twelve Trails' Teen Adventure Program.
- Plan, in collaboration with camp leaders, goals, content, the budget, and all details associated with camp teen programs.
- Participate and help lead camp staff training emphasizing knowledge about working with teens.
- Hire, train, and supervise seasonal camp staff that support teen programs.
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
- Full-time, FLSA Exempt
- Summer days and hours subject to change according to camp schedule
- Some Sundays and Monday through Friday during the year (schedule will be "flexed" when working Sundays); Monday through Friday during the summer
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- $60,000 per year
- Generous Paid Time Off (PTO) and competitive benefits package: Health Insurance; Retirement Plan, Optional 403b Plan, Life Insurance, Flexible Spending Account, Commuter Benefit Plan, and Y Fitness Center Membership.
- YM&YWHA of Washington & Inwood: New York, NY 10040
- Collegiate Church of New York Campus: New York, NY 10033
- Camp Twelve Trails: Orangeburg, NY 10962
WORK AUTHORIZATION & CLEARANCE
- Documentation of U.S. citizenship or eligibility to work in the U.S.
- Must pass the background check, medical tests, fingerprinting through the Department of Health and Department of Education, and other pre-employment requirements.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Additional functions and responsibilities may change or may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
YM & YWHA of Washington Heights & Inwood provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Comfortable working with, recruiting, and engaging individuals ages 11-24
- Proven planning, implementing, monitoring, and evaluation skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; able to communicate in a variety of settings and styles clearly and appropriately
- Able to present in front of large groups of participants
- Proficient in using Google Suite, MS Office applications, social media, and other technology platforms for youth programs.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in education, psychology, or a similar field with at least two years of successful experience providing educational services to teenagers and young adults. Master's Degree preferred
- Experience in managing and supervising staff is preferred
- Experience in program design, primarily those that support individuals ages 11-24
Established in 1917 as one of the first Jewish community centers in New York City, the YM & YWHA of Washington Heights and Inwood (the Y) is a thriving and visionary not-for-profit human services organization in Northern Manhattan. We welcome people of diverse ethnicities and all ages, from pre-school to older adults, into the Y family with a wide range of educational, recreational and social services and programs that focus on improving the quality of their lives. With a long and distinguished history, the Y is a multi-service community center that is well known for its nurturing environment and non-judgmental philosophy.