Location and Job Title:
Youth and Camp Director
3960 Montclair Rd
Birmingham, AL 35213
The Youth and Camp Director oversees the creation, promotion, staffing, curriculum, and administrative functions of all camp/school days out/children's activities. The position has oversight and supervision responsibilities of staff and programs. The director leads all efforts to develop and deliver an annual array of camp and youth programs and opportunities that are fresh, current, and keep pace with current trends. The Youth and Camp Director reports to the Senior Director of Early Childhood and Youth Programs.
- Assist the Senior Director of Early Childhood and Youth Programs in developing a strategic road map for youth programs.
- Establish goals, benchmarks, and evaluation for all camp and youth programs.
- Actively engage and energize direct reports, colleagues, camp staff, families, lay leaders, and other stakeholders.
- Ensure effective systems to track progress and regularly evaluate program components to measure successes that can be effectively communicated to all stakeholder groups.
- Develop and implement a year-round marketing strategy to ensure successful recruitment and retention of campers and year-round participants. Works closely with senior leadership and the marketing department to develop initiatives to support recruitment and retention strategies and goals.
- Actively engage the greater Birmingham community to meet with potential campers, parents, and partners.
- Create year-round camp programs to attract new campers and keep current families engaged and connected.
- Build an alumni camp program.
- Ensure development and implementation of innovative and meaningful programming for all J-Care/camp/youth/teen programs.
- Implement programming for children, families, and staff which will encourage engagement in year-round experiences.
- Develop and oversee all systems and procedures of registration and camp administration.
- Ensure consistency in policies and procedures across all camps and programs.
- Facilitates interviewing, hiring, and staffing of youth programs
- Supervises all camp and youth staff
- Works with vendors and contract staff to provide relevant, high quality programs
- Facilitates staff onboarding and recognition
- Plans and implements year-round staff training
- Ensures the smooth, day to day operation of camp and youth programs
- Working with the finance department and senior director to plan and track all program budgets, monthly statements, and forecasts.
- Manage accounts receivable and works within department budget
- Bachelor's degree required
- Five years of experience in youth and/or camp programs: minimum of three years supervisory experience
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to show initiative and work independently
- Demonstrates situational awareness
- Shows compassion and good crisis management skills
- Employs rational critical thinking and is able and willing to work with others
- Demonstrates competent, professional communication skills, both written and verbal
$45,000 - $55,000
Backed by more than a century of dynamic history, the Levite Jewish Community Center is a vibrant nonprofit organization that serves as a bridge between Birmingham's Jewish and non-Jewish communities. Through the lens of Jewish identity and values, we provide a welcoming, family-oriented gathering place for a diverse membership to engage in meaningful experiences of the mind, body, and soul. Part of a strong national JCC network, our 70-acre wooded campus includes a fully equipped fitness center, indoor and outdoor pools, a highly regarded early childhood learning program, a robust athletics program, and year-round children's camps. We also host dozens of group fitness classes plus a variety of Jewish and secular programs throughout the year. We are proud to partner with other area nonprofit organizations on various membership and program initiatives, including United Way of Central Alabama, Glenwood Autism, i3 Academy, Anytown Alabama, and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.