Location and Job Title:
Director of Aquatics
Arthur M. Glick JCC of Indianapolis
6701 Hoover Rd
Indianapolis, IN 46260
The Director of Aquatics is responsible for overseeing aquatics operations of the indoor pools and Water Park as well as leading various part-time staff.The incumbent in this position performs administrative and planning tasks in addition to assisting with compliance and regulations. The Director is also responsible for performing any other assignments as required by the Director of Membership & Aquatics (DM&A).
- With guidance, performing repair and maintenance of equipment and facilities for indoor and outdoor pools.
- Recruitment/hiring/supervising/scheduling/training and evaluating Aquatics staff.
- Respond to members' concerns and ideas in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Work closely with other full-time professional staff in scheduling aquatic activities to coordinate with both physical education programs and other departmental programs.
- Maintain mandatory records and statistics, ensuring compliance with local agencies.
- Develop and conduct drills for handling emergencies.
- Maintain accurate records and forward to accounting for timely billing.
- Maintain inventory of all aquatics supplies.
- Assist in creation of aquatics budget.
- Ensure that pools meet all health and safety standards including a clean environment, appropriate air and water temperature, chemical balance and timely pool water testing and backwashing.Secure pool facilities when not in use.Advise the DM&A of safety and repair needs and concerns immediately.
- Assist in planning and implementation of program offerings including recreation and lap swimming.
- Coordinate all outside group rentals
- Oversee coordination of special events for indoor and outdoor pool programs.
- Coordinate private swim, group and external group swim lessons.
- Teach ARC life guard and WSI instructor certification classes.
- Conduct private and group swim lessons.
Supervision, Direct and Indirect:
- Direct supervision of Assistant Director of Aquatics & Lifeguards.
- Ensure that all staff has appropriate and updated certifications.
Conduct a minimum of 1 in-service per month (non summer) and 2 per month (summer).
- Direct summer management team to ensure all policies and procedures are followed (mandatory swims, in-service trainings, cleaning schedules, etc.)
- Provide 20+ hours of direct teaching or lifeguarding hours per week during non-summer season.
- Substitute for lifeguards in their absence.
- Conduct certifications of professional, camp and seasonal employees in CPR and First Aid.
- During non-summer months, additional duties to assist the DM&A with projects.
- Participate as a staff member on the Aquatics committee.
Leadership and Responsibilities:
- Weekly staff meetings with DM&A and Assistant Direct of Aquatics (or more frequently as necessary).
- Will be required to periodically physically check-in evenings, weekends and holidays in rotation with Fitness/Aquatics/Sports staff to ensure proper supervision and oversight of staff.
- Participate in staff meetings, board of director meetings and professional training as appropriate.
- Maintain a professional image and manner consistent with the JCC's mission and goals.
- Communicate effectively and professionally with members and staff.
- At times be able to lift/move up to 150 pounds.
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- 2+ years in Aquatics preferred, experience in pool operations and mechanics preferred.
- Current Lifeguard certification required
- Water Safety Instructor certification preferred, required within first 12 months
- Complete all requirements of the Lifeguard Instructor course and CPO within first 12 months if not already acquired
- Strong understanding of Jewish customs and traditions.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.Ability to communicate effectively and diplomatically with staff members as well as members of the community.
- Knowledge of instruction and skill evaluation, lifeguarding, pool mechanics, water chemistry and first aid/safety.
- Planning skills including, team building and conflict resolution.
- Ability to work well with teams as well as working independently with moderate to minimal supervision.
- Must be able to work flexible hours in an environment with constant mobility.
- Physical job duties include hands-on water instruction and minor repair/maintenance of pool areas and equipment.
- Rescue Equipment
- Mechanism that raises and lowers therapy pool floor
- Chair assist
- Chemical test kit to check pool levels.
- Computer/word processor for class rosters.
This job requires high energy and interaction with staff and members of the community.There is a need for quick decision-making and accountability for actions.May be routinely required to lift/carry/move up to 150 pounds.
45,000 - 55,000
Whether you come to the JCC to work out, swim, shoot hoops, hang out at the water park or bring your kids to a class, you can count on feeling better when you leave than you did when you came in. You'll find that the JCC is so much more than fitness. Our members come from all walks of life and have interests ranging from childcare to water aerobics; from summer camp to adult continuing education; and from yoga to boot camp. We're situated on 40 beautiful acres on Indy's northwest side. We invite you to see for yourself why we say: Open to everyone. Something for everyone. Visit www.JCCindy.org, call 251-9467 or stop in for a tour.