Location and Job Title:
Director of Finance and Administration
Katie and Irwin Kahn Jewish Community Center
306 Flora Drive
Columbia, SC 29223
Develop, implement, and maintain systems and procedures for financial management/bookkeeping and administration. Must be a highly organized, efficient, strategic problem solver with fantastic interpersonal and business skills, strong financial management skills, and have the highest personal integrity. Must also be able to work accurately with pressures of deadlines and interruptions, while being consistent, approachable, and collaborative. This position is considered senior staff and reports directly to the CEO.
- Perform routine and complex accounting functions including recordkeeping, budgeting, routine and other financial reporting, cash position, bank reconciliations, payables, payroll, etc.
- Partner with CEO to formulate annual, monthly, and other budget, finance, and administrative strategies.
- Share senior team responsibility to manage annual budget with departmental direct responsibility.
- Share senior team responsibility for overall security strategies and emergency procedures.
- Participate in strategic planning, business development, and other key processes.
- Manage/improve internal financial systems using appropriate accounting principles, and ensure accuracy, proper documentation, and audit trails.
- Manage/improve administrative systems to support staff of 50, majority part time, employees.
- Manage vendors and contracts for related functions such as payroll, accountants, IT, security.
- Manage/support venue rental sales and billing.
- Provide a variety of administrative functions such as benefits administration, liability insurance reporting, etc.
- Office management including equipment contracts, troubleshooting, supply ordering, postage meter, IT outside vendor point of contact, etc.
- Manage office technology and equipment, provide support as needed for meetings and events.
- Maintain employee files in compliance with legal, audit, or other requirements.
- Maintain employee handbook, be familiar with current trends and applicable laws.
- Supervise compliance with HR and health and safety regulations.
- Manage hiring and firing procedures.
- Have a can-do attitude and do what is needed regardless of portfolio.
- Collaborate with staff to benefit the agency as a whole.
- Staff the board finance committee.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in accounting or related field, or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 2 years of senior-level financial management and/or full charge bookkeeper experience
- Knowledge of human resources/benefits administration, information technology, and contract management.
- Experience working in a nonprofit environment.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication.
- Commitment to the inclusive mission of the JCC.
- Comfortable executing both high-level strategic and day-to-day administrative tasks.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to be approachable while also holding others accountable.
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment with multiple priorities and projects and many "hats."
- Experience in internal and external customer service a plus.
- Familiarity with Jewish culture and tradition preferred.
- Available for occasional evenings/weekends.
The Katie and Irwin Kahn Jewish Community Center (JCC) is a friendly, welcoming, and inclusive community center in the Northeast area of Columbia, South Carolina. The mission of the JCC is to enhance the quality of life by providing comprehensive programs based on Jewish values, traditions, heritage, and culture. The JCC aims to promote unity through social, recreational, athletic, educational, and cultural programs, enriching and uniting the Jewish community and the community as a whole.
The JCC hosts a range of programs for people of all backgrounds, ages, and affiliation. Programs and special events for individuals and every family member include fitness, sports and recreational leagues, aquatics, summer camp, Jewish life, adult and senior activities, and community and member events.