Location and Job Title:
Summer Camp Nurse - Camp Seneca Lake
Louis S. Wolk Jewish Community Center of Greater Rochester
1200 Edgewood Ave
Rochester, NY 14618
Camp Seneca Lake (CSL) is a premier co-ed overnight summer camp set on 200+ acres on Seneca Lake in the beautiful Finger Lakes Region of Western New York. For over 90 summers CSL has given campers in grades 3-12 a special place to recharge, unplug, and connect to nature and friends. CSL welcomes all campers into a safe compassionate community where each child is encouraged to become their best self.
Children from all backgrounds come together to learn important life skills that will stay with them through adulthood. Campers develop independence, form lifelong friendships, and a deep connection to a tight knit community that is strong at its core. CSL is owned and operated by the Jewish Community Center of Greater Rochester, and we are an inclusive community center and camp that welcomes campers and staff of all faiths, backgrounds, and ages.
This nursing role is a seasonal, full-time position. We are seeking Nurses who can commit to at least one week at a time, ideally several weeks at once or the full summer session. We can be flexible! The position includes evening hours. The Nurse reports to the Camp Director and supports the health needs of the campers and staff working as a team with the other members of the Health Center.
The mission of the Health Center is to support camper and staff health and safety towards full participation in Camp Seneca Lake programs and activities. This health support is provided by:
- Oversight of camper and staff medical needs and health practices.
- Education of campers and staff on wellness practices and proper hygiene.
- Provision of bio-psycho-social assessment by licensed professional nurses and doctors to provide quality care.
- Implementation of prescribed medical individual care plans within the scope of Camp Seneca Lake
- Participation in camp wellness and safety maintenance and prevention programs.
- Evaluate the medical forms and medication forms of all campers and staff and enter the appropriate information into the camp's medical management software system.
- Make recommendations to the Director for medical supply ordering.
- To interface with all appropriate camp staff regarding special medical and psycho-social needs of campers and staff, and to contact and consult with parents where needed.
- Camp Nurse will notify Consulting Physician in any emergency situation, any time a camper is taken to an off-site care facility, or anytime 911 is dialed for a medical related incident.
- Camp Nurse and medical team will create a daily medical report for the director, which will include any unhealthy campers, updates on the condition of any inpatient treatments, etc.
- Supervise the keeping of records in the Health Center operation.
- Serve as a liaison to camp management.
- Liaise with parents regarding the care of their child(ren).
- Strip and change beds & clean rooms as needed.
- Coordinate out-of-camp visits with Health Center Coordinator.
- Ensure cleanliness of Health Center.
- Submit a report at the end of the season covering: inventory of all Health Center supplies & equipment; changes needed; and equipment needed
Health & Care Responsibilities:
- Provide first aid to campers and staff according to generally accepted principles and standards of care.
- Assess and triage patients seeking medical attention and refer to physician as needed and according to camp protocols.
- Provide first response in emergency situations and obtain appropriate medical care as the situation requires
- Administer prescribed medications as needed and or as ordered by physician and administer OTC medications on an as needed (PRN) basis in accordance with labeled instructions and standing orders.
- Monitor and document inpatient care and progress of campers/staff in the Health Center.
- Maintain a clean and safe environment for all campers and staff, direct visitors, staff and campers to ensure safety and confidentiality.
- Monitor health status of camper population, paying special attention to campers/staff with chronic and contagious conditions. Identify patterns and trends and address with Camp Director.
- Maintain documentation of all medical and nursing issues in the camper's/staff's medical record.
- Supervise the storage of staff and camper medications to ensure compliance with prescribed treatment and to observe for any side effects.
- Administer treatments as necessary according to nurses' scope of care, assessment and/or physician's order.
- Provide education and act as a resource for campers, staff, and administration regarding any health issues which may arise.
- Order necessary medications from local pharmacies on an as needed basis.
- Maintain open lines of communication with the camp administration and staff trainers to ensure a collaborative effort regarding health status of campers, staff, or camp.
- Assess orthopedic injuries at the direction of the camp physician.
- Apply and adjust splints as needed.
- Communicate with campers and staff regarding safe return to activities after injury.
- Communicate with medical specialists at hospitals and clinics regarding injuries.
- Available for the entire Camp Season, 6/21/2024-08/19/2024.
- Must be a Registered Nurse or Nurse Practitioner, licensure in New York State required
- Prior camp experience in working with young children is preferred but not required
- Exceptional skill and capacity for engagement and relationship building with both children and their parents.
- Proven ability to plan, originate, and organize programs.
- Proven ability to provide emotional support to a wide range of ages.
- Strong understanding of, and a willingness to be creative with, strategies to ensure campers of varying needs can be part of a mainstreamed program.
- Be a leader, self-starter, and strong collaborator.
- Ability to accept guidance, constructive feedback, and support from teammates.
- 6/21/2024-08/19/2024 onsite room and board provided
- Competitive stipend for the season, $1,500/week+ depending on education and experience
Camp Seneca Lake/Jewish Community Center of Greater Rochester is an Equal Opportunity Employer!