Location and Job Title:
Director of Development
5625 Arlington Ave
Bronx, NY 10471
The Riverdale Y is a community and cultural center located in the Riverdale neighborhood of the Bronx. We provide educational, recreational, cultural, and wellness programming for children and adults of all ages. The Riverdale Y is rooted in universal values central to Jewish life. We celebrate diversity and welcome all to participate, engage and connect. We are a sanctuary to think, learn and grow, an open door to creativity, fitness, and fun, and a catalyst for change and transformation.
The Director of Development (DOD) serves as the key fundraising team member and works collaboratively with the CEO, Director of Volunteers and Community Engagement Director to lead all fundraising efforts. The DOD reports to the CEO and has no direct reports. The Director recommends short and long-term development plans that support the organization's values and mission. The Director will identify, prioritize, research, and cultivate relationships with new and current donors, in addition to a focus on corporate, foundation, and major donor giving. This is a full-time position in Riverdale.
The duties below are the most significant responsibilities of the DOD that are essential for effective performance in this role. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Planning and Executing (40%)
- Provide leadership and direction for individual giving, corporate and foundation support, special events and partnerships.
- Participate in big picture strategic approaches to fundraising with the CEO to generate increased giving levels.
- Create and implement a year-long plan to meet annual revenue targets and analyze progress against such targets quarterly, identifying strategies to address any potential shortfalls.
Cultivating Relationships (30%)
- Identify, cultivate and solicit a variety of donors across New York with tailored stewardship strategies to diversify and grow Riverdale Y's donor base.
- In collaboration with the CEO, lead and inform the Board of Directors of fundraising strategy, activities, achievements and significant donations.
- Oversee content development and calendar for all donor services, including acknowledgement letters, direct appeals, and select solicitation materials.
- Represent Riverdale Y to donors, prospects, volunteers, and other key constituents at events, both internally and externally.
- Launch and manage a planned giving program to create a lasting philanthropic legacy.
Grant Writing & Proposals (20%)
- Be a fiscal steward for the Y securing both private and public funds as well as managing the reporting process on how funds are spent .
- Source and draft grant applications with the appropriate members of the Y team to secure funding for programming and special projects.
Team building and engagement in Y Programs (10%)
- Serve as a thought partner to the Riverdale Y senior leadership team around what is possible with fundraising to build a stronger culture of philanthropy.
Professional Growth and Development (all the time!)
- Seek out external opportunities to continue to grow and develop in your craft.
- Embed yourself in the Y community as a thoughtful leader and stakeholder.
Don't meet every single requirement below? We are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you are excited about this role but your past experience does not align perfectly with every qualification, we encourage you to apply and share why you want to join the team.
- 3-5 years of experience in donor cultivation and solicitation with a demonstrated capacity to build relationships with donors
- Track record of securing five and six figure gifts
- Experience with special event fundraising
- Experience with budget management
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with online fundraising a plus
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically
- Ability to problem solve and make decisions independently as well as collaborate with others across various departments
- Commitment to Riverdale Y's mission, vision and values
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends as required by special events, board meetings and community programs
- Knowledge and experience in managing fundraising database, fundraising reporting, and analysis of data of prospects and donors.
- Must possess strong financial and communication (both written and oral) skills
- Bachelor's degree required; advanced degree preferred in nonprofit management or business administration
Salary and Benefits: $70,000-$80,000 commensurate with experience
Riverdale Y offers employees medical & dental insurance, flexible spending, commuter benefits and pension plan as well as an optional 403(b) retirement benefit. The Riverdale Y also offers employees a complimentary family membership, discounted childcare and afterschool programming, in addition to discounts in areas of sports, performing arts, dance, aquatics and summer camp.
Please send a cover letter and resume to Adriana Rexhepi at email@example.com.
$65,000 - $75,000
Riverdale Y enriches lives by cultivating universally-shared values central to Jewish life, through educational, cultural, wellness, and service programs for all.
We build and strengthen community.
We create a space of belonging, where everyone feels respected and appreciated for who they are.
We have a responsibility to care for one another, in our local community and in our world.
We nurture our minds, bodies and souls.
We are committed to lifelong learning and growth.