Location and Job Title:
Director, Camp Wise
Mandel JCC of Cleveland
26001 S Woodland Rd
Beachwood, OH 44122
- Works in partnership with the Camp Wise leadership team to develop a robust internal culture that is aligned with mission, vision and values of Camp Wise and the Mandel JCC.
- Coordinates and oversees the annual business planning and budgeting processes in consultation with Camp Wise's assistant directors, finance and administration and the JCC' s senior management team.
- Participates with executive staff and Camp Wise committee in developing and implementing strategies which will ensure the continued and long term success of Camp Wise.
- Works in partnership with Mandel JCC Fund Development department in building a Culture of Philanthropy.
- Working with assistant directors, recruits staff including counselors, specialists and support personnel for summer camp sessions.Recruitment takes place locally, throughout the United States, and internationally.
- Develops staff at all levels to ensure highest standards of performance in meeting the evolving needs of campers and their families.
- Manages the day-to-day responsibilities of camp leadership through a collaborative model that inspires skill enhancement, coaching/counseling, staff development and high performing teams.
- Creates and implements on-going evaluation and benchmarking of recruitment efforts, camp programs and staff performance.
- Responsible for the development of a year round marketing strategy in partnership with the Mandel JCC marketing department to ensure successful recruitment and retention of campers in a competitive market.
- Travels throughout the state of Ohio and in communities around the United States to meet with potential campers and parents.
- Drives the use of data provided by campers and parents and the identification of best practices in camping to drive new and innovative initiatives at Camp Wise.
- Development and implementation of innovative and meaningful programming for all areas of the camping experience.
- Contributes to year round camper newsletter and assists in organizing events throughout the year which will maintain campers' connection to Camp Wise and increase retention.
- Implements programming for camper parents and families which will encourage commitment to the camping experience.
- Reflects the informal Jewish education purpose of the Camp through the development of a variety of activities and programs.
- Infuses the Camp Wise brand into operational plans and programs
- Working closely with finance department, develops and administers budget for Camp Wise.Monitors revenues and expenses to ensure financial goals are achieved.
- Maintains on-going understanding of the demographics of the Cleveland community in order to help shape and understand opportunity for market growth.
- Oversees operation of Retreat Center September through May including marketing, recruitment of groups, programming, and site management.
- In conjunction with the Camp Facilities Manager and the JCC Facility Director, oversees repair and upgrades of infrastructure, buildings, and grounds to ensure comfort and safety of campers and staff at the Halle Park Camp Sites in Burton and Chardon.
- Advises Mandel JCC senior leadership of any significant issues regarding physical plant and capital that are required to keep Camp Wise and Anisfield Day camp competitive in the day and resident camping industries.
- Advises COO, JCC camp committee, board of directors and professional staff on relevant macro, national and local trends and research that impact Camp Wise's programs and services.
- Oversees and adheres to guidelines established by the American Camp Association accreditation process and local, state and federal guidelines, ensuring that Camp Wise is meeting or exceeding all standards.
- Cultivate members of the Camp Wise committee to become camp ambassadors to the community.
- Develops a core of camp alumni to create an additional source of revenue for the Camp Wise.
- Engages alumni through use of social media, written communications, programs, and meetings.
Essential Skill Sets
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with all constituent groups of camp and gain their trust and respect.
- Ability and desire to be innovative, adapt to change and consider new approaches around all areas of camp programming and operations.
- Ensures adherence to agency core values of respect, kindness, character and community within both staff culture and program development.
- Ability to drive the implementation of programmatic and organizational development strategies that will support the agency's mission, goals and objectives
- Proactive and creative in overcoming obstacles and resource constraints.
- Possesses excellent communication, administration and organizational skills as demonstrated through a willingness to remain open to new ideas and acts decisively once information is gathered.
- Proficient in organizational finances, budgeting and planning with the ability to balance programming and fiscal management.
- Possesses a commitment to Jewish life and the Jewish community.
- Possesses knowledge of current trends in Jewish camping and youth engagement.
- Actively supports and participates in continuous intra-departmental and agency-wide quality improvement processes.
- Ability to work evenings, weekends and holidays, as required and perform other related duties, as needed and/or required.
(These responsibilities are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed.)
- Bachelor's Degree in education, social work, recreation or hospitality is required.
- Master's Degree Preferred
- Ten years of camp management and administration experience.
- Experience leading an organization with a significant physical plant preferred.
- Strong knowledge of Jewish culture, heritage, and traditions.
- Financial management skills, i.e., budget preparation and reconciliation.
- Working knowledge of short and long-term planning and program development.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook).
Salary and compensation package will be discussed with qualified candidates.
- Support the Mission of the Mandel
- Ensure the highest quality of programs
and services and possess a working knowledge of agency programs and
- Represent the agency and provide
the highest quality of customer service to the individuals and groups with
whom you come into contact.
- Treat fellow staff with respect.
$90,000 - $110,000
Summary: The Director of Camp Wise is responsible for the overall direction, management and performance of Camp Wise and the maintenance of the Halle Park Facility in Chardon, Ohio. They provide strong visionary, creative and thoughtful leadership to all areas of Camp as well as implementation of action plans and systems that are needed for successful programmatic, operational and financial outcomes. They work closely with the Mandel JCC senior management team, the Camp Wise committee and the board of the Mandel JCC in addressing long range strategic planning, financial management and building a culture of philanthropy. This position also oversees the senior leadership team for Camp Wise and is a member of the Mandel JCC' s department management team.