Location and Job Title:
Jewish Community Center of the East Bay
1414 Walnut St
Berkeley, CA 94709
The CFO will report to the Chief Executive Officer and is a member of the executive leadership team. This person will have responsibility for the financial health and stability of the JCC East Bay. Working closely with the CEO and COO, the CFO will also lead the annual budget process and strategy.
- Create and maintain accurate financial records and prepare monthly reports of financial position.
- Oversee annual audit preparation.
- Research and evaluate all systems, processes, and procedures, and recommend changes when appropriate or needed.
- Oversee cash management, including deposits, dispersals, line of credit, and other debt management.
- Develop relationships with financial/banking partners. Primary signer on checks.
- Authorize, issue, and deactivate company credit cards.
- Prepare annual budget, period budget updates (forecasts), including P&L and cash flow projections, and monthly actual vs. budget variance reports for use by the Finance committee, Board, department managers, and senior management.
- Evaluate financial impact of capital investments (major purchases and repairs concerning facility and vehicles) and offer recommendations.
- Evaluate financial impact of renting and leasing possibilities (equipment, property, etc.) and offer recommendations.
- Responsible for all aspects of Property, Liability, and Worker's Comp Insurance.
- Oversee employee benefits plan design, administration, and communications, including health insurance and pension plans.
- Partner with operations team and labor attorney to ensure compliance with labor laws.
- Partner with COO to periodically communicate and renegotiate a Collective Bargaining Agreement that covers one of our sites.
- Review new hire plans and requisitions and make recommendations regarding their financial impact.
- Responsible for implementation and operation of the payroll and benefits system.
- Review and approve bi-weekly payroll.
Board of Directors and Committee Work
- Prepare monthly budget updates and reports for the Board of Directors.
- Serve as primary staff contact for the Finance and Audit committees, including meeting planning and execution. Help recruit committee members.
- Establish deep relationship with Board Treasurer, and serve as point of contact.
- Supervise Controller and provide direction, input, and productive feedback.
- Liaise with other managers to ensure effective and efficient program delivery.
- Ability to step in for CEO or COO as needed.
- Represent the JCC at community events, meetings, etc.
- Work actively with program staff and other stakeholders to ensure accuracy.
- Willing to be hands on and fill-in for other finance staff in their absence.
- Develop and implement long-term goals and objectives to ensure financial strength and consistency.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, Board members, and donors.
- Ability to perform at a high level in a fast paced team environment, and manage multiple projects to meet timelines and deadlines.
- Proactive behaviors with leadership and consensus building skills.
- Goal-orientated and close attention to detail.
- High level customer service skills.
- Other duties as determined by the CEO.
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum of 10 years of financial oversight and planning with supervisory responsibilities.
- Experience working in a nonprofit and/or educational institution.
- Exceptional written and verbal communications.
- Ability to use a personal computer including applications such as Word, Excel, Google Calendar, Google search, Quickbooks
- Commitment to the mission of the JCC East Bay.
- Bachelor and/or Master's Degree in Accounting or Finance.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; able to motivate small but mighty teams.
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment with multiple priorities and projects.
- Proven experience in customer service and community relations.
- Available for evening and/or weekend programs and meetings as needed.
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs.
Systemic inequities in hiring have caused women, people of color, LGBTQ+ folks, and others to apply to jobs only if they meet all of the qualifications. The JCC East Bay encourages you to apply anyway, as no one ever meets 100% of the qualifications. Competitive salary commensurate with experience. Salary information will be shared one-on one with candidates. Excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, vacation, sick pay, and holidays (including Jewish).
The JCC East Bay is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. JCC East Bay policy prohibits unlawful discrimination in accordance with federal, state, and local laws. The JCC East Bay complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act and is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require particular accommodations during the application and interview process, please inform us of your needs so that we can provide accordingly.
The JCC East Bay is a welcoming home for people of all ages and life stages. Our mission is to create healthy communities inspired by Jewish values, culture, and tradition. We build interpersonal relationships, foster learning and inspiration, and explore Jewish life. The JCC's core programs include intergenerational Jewish holiday celebrations; early childhood education and preschool; camp and afterschool programs; and provocative cultural arts and civic engagement events. The JCC serves and reflects the diverse residents of the East Bay, offering physical gathering spaces for the Jewish and broader community.