Location and Job Title:
Bernard and Ruth Siegel Jewish Community Center
101 Garden of Eden Rd.
Wilmington, DE 19803
Under supervision of the Aquatics Coordinator and Aquatics Director, Lifeguards are
responsible for ensuring the safety of all patrons at the JCC Indoor Pool by preventing and responding to
emergencies. Lifeguards must enforce rules and policies, evaluate and resolve emergency situations, conduct safety
checks, check and record chemical levels for the pool and help maintain the cleanliness of the pool, locker rooms, and
lost and found areas.
- Maintain constant surveillance of JCC members and guests at the pool.
- Identify dangerous situations and act immediately and appropriately.
- Present professional appearance and attitude at all times.
- Maintain a high standard of customer service.
- Take charge in all crisis or emergency situations while following established JCC policies and guidelines
(including those related to COVID-19).
- Administer CPR or First Aid if necessary.
- Enforce pool rules at all times and be able to explain the reasoning behind them.
- Inspect pool, pool deck, equipment, and supplies. Report any problems.
- Assist in keeping the pool and deck area clean and orderly at all times.
- Be familiar with JCC programs and activities in order to assist members with inquiries when appropriate.
- Participate in regular in-service training sessions.
- Complete all additional duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Must have current certifications in Lifeguarding/CPR/AED/First Aid through the American Red Cross or Ellis &
- Must become familiar with job procedures and policies before scheduled start date.
- Minimum of one year lifeguard or pool operations experience preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to handle emergency situations.
- Must maintain the fitness requirement necessary to pass the lifeguarding course.
- Must be alert, friendly, and able to maintain order in the pool.
- Must be able to take initiative to solve problems and willing to seek assistance in solving problems.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with members and other staff.
- Must have daytime availability on weekdays.
The Siegel JCC is a non-profit membership organization where people come together as a community to learn, share and celebrate. We inspire and connect people of all ages, faiths and backgrounds through social, educational, cultural, fitness and recreational opportunities, in a warm and welcoming environment. The JCC represents a feeling of home for children, families, teens, singles, seniors, and everyone in between.
The JCC houses preschool, child care and camp programs, as well as a state-of-the-art fitness center, indoor pool, gymnasium and racquetball courts. Our thirty-acre family campus featuring an outdoor pool, ball fields, tennis and basketball courts offers a wide array of outdoor recreational services. The JCC is also home to Jewish holiday celebrations and cultural arts programming.
The mission of the Siegel JCC is to be the hub of Jewish life in our region. We strengthen the greater community by nurturing Jewish belonging and encouraging social, physical, and intellectual growth in an environment guided by Jewish values and culture.