Location and Job Title:
Jewish Community Center of Schenectady
2565 Balltown Rd.
Niskayuna, NY 12309
Under the direct supervision of the Executive Director, this individual is responsible for the management, supervision, programming, operation and marketing of the Schenectady JCC's indoor and outdoor swimming pools and therapeutic whirlpool spa. This is a Full-Time position.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Provide excellent customer service skills in order to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, members and all members of the general public.
- Continually evaluate and reinforce the level of customer service required by all Aquatics staff.
- Supervise, create and encourage programming to generate revenue through fees and outside rentals.
- Market, promote and publicize all aspects of the aquatics program, including updating and utilizing both traditional and electronic media. Work closely with the appropriate personnel in promoting aquatic activities.
- Develop, implement and evaluate programming in the area of aquatics, keeping pace with demand and emerging trends to meet the needs of the Schenectady JCC population and community.
- Oversee coordination of special events for pool programs including rentals to members and outside entities.
- Manage, assist and oversee the general maintenance, safety and upkeep of the pool areas. Work with the Schenectady JCC's Maintenance Director to develop a proper plan and manage implementation.
- Maintain knowledge and adherence to all pool and public health standards as they relate to aquatics.
- Manage basic daily pool maintenance.
- Manage the inventory and supervise the purchase of departmental supplies and equipment.
- Ensure a procedure is in place for regular cleaning of pool and surrounding area.
- Plan, implement, oversee and be available to teach a wide variety of program offerings, including but not exclusive to: individual and group swim lessons, water aerobics, recreation and lap swimming, special needs swim instruction and youth swim leagues.
- Serve as a coach of the Schenectady JCC's winter swim team; involved in hiring and supervision of other coaches. Maintain close relationships with the swim leagues that our teams compete in.
- Instruct Lifeguard certification and CPR/AED/First Aid Classes.
- Provide 10-15 hours of direct lifeguarding/swim instruction/aqua exercise instruction per week during the non-summer months.
- Substitute for lifeguards or instructors in their absence.
- Perform the duties of the Pool and Tennis Club Aquatics Director including but not limited to hiring staff, teaching lessons and working with the camp director.
Human Resources/Fiscal Management
- Train and supervise full and part time staff as necessary in accordance with health department requirements and standards. Verify, manage and maintain certifications and credentials for the staff as needed.
- Prepare, manage and monitor the aquatics budget.
- Maintain usage records and prepare reports.
- Act as a staff resource to the Sports and Wellness Committee. Attend committee meetings as necessary.
- Assist in the administration and management of the summer and winter swim teams: including schedules, practices, and preparation of meets, parental involvement and record keeping. Work closely with the swim team parent reps.
- In the summer, work with appropriate camp personnel to ensure a safe and enjoyable pool experience for all.
- Perform a variety of miscellaneous duties such as answering phone, typing correspondence, running errands, picking up supplies needed for activities, conducting classes, collecting fees, making arrangements for use of pool, helping set up for classes, events, etc.
- Attend regular staff meetings, department meetings, supervisory conferences and staff development trainings.
- Oversee building coverage as assigned.
- Responsible for recruitment and retention of aquatics personnel.
- Be part of a team that plans and implements departmental and JCC wide special events.
Any other duties assigned by the Campus Director.
- Bachelor degree or equivalent aquatics and management experience required.
- Certified Pool Operator (CPO) preferred or the ability to obtain withing six (6) months of hire.
- Current Lifeguard and CPR/AED/PR and First Aid certification required.
- Current WSI required
- Current Lifeguard Instructor Certification preferred or the ability to obtain within six (6) months of hire.
- Must maintain all required certifications.
- Knowledge of pool maintenance and chemicals.
- Experience coaching, participating and/or managing competitive swim team desirable.
- Computer literacy in Word, Excel, Publisher and Google Docs programs strongly preferred.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Flexible and able to handle multiple projects at the same time; excellent time management skills.
- Detail oriented and well organized, with the ability to plan projects, activities and schedules several months in advance.
- A positive, up beat spirit, can do attitude and great sense of fun!
45,000 - 55,000
Since 1921, SJCC has served the Niskayuna and greater Schenectady
area as a community center, an educational resource, a Jewish cultural
touchpoint, and a fitness facility where everyone is welcome! SJCC is
ranked the largest Child Care Center in the Capital Region by the
Albany Business Review for the past three years and is the largest
Silver Sneakers provider in Schenectady County. We were recently
recognized by the Schenectady County Human Rights Commission for our Capital Capabilities initiative; which enlightens and informs
the abled community about those with disabilities. In addition, SJCC
offers a full calendar of cultural programs, adult classes, pre-school,
after-school and summer camp programs, and family friendly and inclusive
events. SJCC operates an annual budget of $4,200,000. Governed by a
volunteer Board of Directors and with a staff of more than 235, SJCC is
embarking on an exciting new campaign that includes renovations to the
physical plant, new hours and classes, and a new logo and branding.