Location and Job Title:
Part Time Preschool Teacher
Jewish Community Center of the East Bay
1414 Walnut St
Berkeley, CA 94709
The Preschool Teacher will report directly to the Director of Early Childhood Education and play a critical role in promoting a safe and welcoming environment to support the learning and individual growth of the preschool community. Teachers will create an environment of acceptance where children can grow with a positive self-concept, and where each child and staff member are treated with dignity and respect. Children will be enriched by a developmentally, individually, and culturally appropriate emergent curriculum.
- Develop curriculum that advances the physical, emotional, social, and cognitive growth of children. Submit lesson plan before the start of every week.
- Develop curriculum that incorporates a commitment to learning about the Jewish community, values, and traditions.
- Provide varied opportunities using multiple learning styles for children's active participation, independent choices, experimentation, and problem solving within the context of a structured setting and program.
- Establish and maintain a well-organized, safe, and healthy environment for children.
- Check materials, equipment, and supplies to see that amounts are adequate and that everything is in good working condition; take preventative measures against hazards to physical safety.
- Maintain appropriate staff to child ratios for supervising children at all times.
- Complete accurate reports as directed (attendance, accidents/incidents, illness, medications administration, ID checks, etc.).
- Maintain cleanliness of classroom: wash dishes, wipe counters, put things away.
Support and Communication
- Observe and assess the cognitive, perceptual, spoken, non-verbal language, and social, emotional, physical, and personal developmental needs of each child. Share observations with families on areas of interest, strengths, and challenges. Identify, provide, and facilitate additional assessment or interventions when necessary.
- Intercede in conflict resolution within the classroom; support an amicable resolution for children involved.
- Help children find a place of calm and comfort, and attend to any injuries.
- Establish positive communication with parents in daily conversation and formal parent conferences that facilitates the free flow of information about their children.
- Participate in team meetings for planning curriculum, other staff meetings and trainings, and other JCC staff meetings.
- Participate in parent orientations, parent conferences, and community-wide activities and celebrations.
- Continue professional development through workshops and classes.
- Assist with early and/or late care, as needed.
- Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging work.
- Commitment to anti-bias education.
The hours for this position are M-F, 1pm-5:30pm. The salary range for this position is $19.11/hour to $26.91/hour.
The JCC East Bay is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. JCC East Bay policy prohibits unlawful discrimination in accordance with federal, state, and local laws. The JCC East Bay complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act and is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require particular accommodations during the application and interview process, please inform us of your needs so that we can provide accordingly.
Systemic inequities in hiring have caused women, people of color, LGBTQ+ folks, and others to apply to jobs only if they meet all of the qualifications. The JCC East Bay encourages you to apply anyway, as no one ever meets 100% of the qualifications. We look forward to your application.
- 1-2 years of experience in an ECE setting.
- 12 or more completed ECE units highly preferred.
- Bachelor's or Associate's Degree highly preferred.
- Knowledge of current research and practices in early childhood education.
- Proficient in various skill areas such as planning, scheduling, record keeping, classroom environmental design and arrangement, classroom management.
- Competent in various skills areas, such as music, art, science, literacy, mathematics, language development, and physical development.
- Maintain First Aid and CPR certifications.
- Ability to be on your feet.
- Ability to sit on the floor and to get up and down with ease.
- Ability to lift and carry child, and help child with clothing, shoes or other needs.
- Ability to diaper change or help child with toilet needs.
- Quick reflexes to respond to needs of children.
- Ability to work with teams of teachers in classroom settings.
- Ability to speak with parents about their children.
- Commitment to the mission of the JCC East Bay and knowledge of or commitment to learning about the Jewish community, values, and traditions.
The JCC East Bay is a welcoming home for people of all ages and life stages. Our mission is to create healthy communities inspired by Jewish values, culture, and tradition. We build interpersonal relationships, foster learning and inspiration, and explore Jewish life. The JCC's core programs include intergenerational Jewish holiday celebrations; early childhood education and preschool; camp and afterschool programs; and provocative cultural arts and civic engagement events. The JCC serves and reflects the diverse residents of the East Bay, offering physical gathering spaces for the Jewish and broader community.