Location and Job Title:
Assistant Executive Director
Jewish Community Centre of Greater Vancouver
950 West 41st Ave
Vancouver, BC V5Z 2N7
The Assistant Executive Director (AED) oversees and directs the core programs and day-to-day operational functions in keeping with the goals and objectives set by the Board of Directors and Executive Director (ED) of the Jewish Community Centre of Greater Vancouver. Reporting to the ED and working as a member of the executive team the AED will maintain a holistic and strategic view of JCCGV operations. The AED will have responsibility for ensuring the JCCGV is maximizing its approaches to earned revenue, business development and service delivery in a manner that will enhance our brand, and create financial sustainability and mission fulfillment. The AED will partner with the Program Director in coordinating the development and delivery of programs, use of the facility by internal and external programs, aligning program staff and resources with program priorities, and in encouraging new revenue sources. The AED works closely with the Comptroller in establishing budget priorities and analyzing financial results to project program results and operational efficiencies. In partnership with the ED, the AED will ensure that the JCCGV provides a safe environment for staff, members and guests.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Represent JCCGV to other organizations and the public at large as needed
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with Board members and lay leaders through the committee process and attend monthly Board of Directors meetings.
- Collaborate with the ED and executive committee to develop a shared vision for the future of the organization and build a sustainable business model around the current mission
- Collaborate with the ED and executive committee to create a strategic business plan to transition the organization into the new building
- Position JCCGV as "the hub" of Jewish life in and for the community
- Collaborate with other Jewish communal agencies in developing joint programs and community-wide activities.
- Establish and maintain a productive working relationship with JCCA (Jewish Community Centre Association of North America) and the Israel Office with the purpose of creating exchange programs and professional staff programs for JCC Staff.
- Develop relationships with Jewish Federation and its Israel and Global Engagement Department with the purpose of creating new directions of exchange programming between the Vancouver Jewish Community and Israel.
- Handle any member, customer service or public relations issues that have not been handled by the professional staff
- Assume responsibility for the day-to-day operations of the JCCGV
- Represent JCCGV in the absence of the ED
- Establish and implement organizational and departmental policies, goals, objectives, or procedures in conjunction with management team, lay leaders and staff.
- Develop and supervise a system of narrative and statistical recording of program activities.
- Authorize program purchases of equipment, services and supplies and give approval for the same to direct reports.
- Develop content for and chair professional staff meetings.
- In consultation with the ED, related responsibilities may be undertaken by the AED not specifically mentioned. This will include identifying and planning for new services and evaluating these services.
- Supervise, train and evaluate the professional staff in areas within purview
- Lead staff in conceptualizing, organizing and implementing comprehensive programs and services
- Hold regularly scheduled individual and departmental meetings
- Oversee staff professional development
- Perform personnel functions, such as selection, training, and evaluation of direct reports
- Provide guidance and direction to direct reports, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance.
- Oversee publicity and marketing efforts conducted by marketing team and program personnel.
- Assume major fiscal responsibility in JCCGV programs and services within purview and general operations
- Direct and coordinate financial and budget activities to fund operations, maximize revenues, and increase efficiency.
- Enhance fundraising initiatives through grant writing through multiple channels including government (federal, provincial and civic), Jewish communal (JCF, JFGV allocations, Snider) and private foundations.
- Minimum education of a Bachelor's degree in nonprofit management or other related field, Master's degree preferred.
- 5-7 years' experience in a senior leadership role within a nonprofit organization.
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership techniques and coordination of people and resources.
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer service including customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Must be available to work evenings, weekends and holidays as required and attend JCCGV fundraising and community events.
- Advanced skills in active listening, critical thinking, time management, negotiation and problem solving.
- Must possess the following attributes: leadership, dependability, initiative, integrity, self-control and stress tolerance.
- Jewish communal experience an asset
- Strong knowledge of Jewish culture and traditions required
In the next few years the Jewish Community Centre of Greater
Vancouver will be undergoing a major transformation with a multi-agency redevelopment project. We
need an experienced and passionate Assistant Executive Director who will help
guide the organization into a new facility while keeping "community" at the
heart of our programs and services. The successful candidate will have at
minimum a Bachelor's degree in non-profit management or related field. They
will have demonstrated their relationship building, leadership and strategic
planning skills during their 5+ years of tenure in a non-profit environment. We
require this individual to have a strong knowledge of Jewish culture and
traditions and would consider Jewish communal experience an asset.
If you have a passion for community and want to make a
difference by leading a professional team dedicated to providing quality
programs and services - we would love to hear from you. Please submit your
resume and cover letter to email@example.com telling
us who you are, your vision for the JCC of Greater Vancouver and how your
professional experience will enhance our organization.
The successful candidate must clear a vulnerable sector
criminal record check and be fully vaccinated for COVID-19.
The salary range for this position is $120K-$150K