Location and Job Title:
After School Assistant/Vacation Camp Teacher
Bonnie & Donald Dwares JCC of the Jewish Alliance of Greater Rhode Island
401 Elmgrove Ave
Providence, RI 02906
The Program: J-Space and J-Cation
J-Space, the Alliance's after school program, is a weekday enrichment program from 2:30-6 that includes activities such as STEM, the arts, athletics/movement, teambuilding, and Judaism. J-Cation is an all day camp-like program from 9-4 for kids when they don't have school, but their parents have to work (such as Winter Break).
Summary of Job Description:
The Assistant Teacher will work closely with the Director to be responsible for the social-emotional growth and development of all children in your care, which may include students in grades kindergarten through fifth. The Assistant/Vacation Camp Teacher provides knowledge and insight, ideas and creativity to the teaching team, and helps maintain communication with parents. The Alliance is looking for individuals with a background in education, STEM, the arts, athletics/movement, teambuilding, and/or Jewish learning. We are seeking a person to specialize in one of those areas and people with general skill working with children.
- Assist Director in the creation, planning and facilitation of engaging curriculum including enrichment and physical activities for students based on the monthly theme
- Provide homework and academic support for program participants
- Escort children to the after school program
- Promote a safe and positive classroom environment, modeling positive and proactive attitudes, behaviors, and language
- Actively supervise and ensure student safety at all times
- Help maintain accurate records including attendance and daily sign out signatures
- Assist in the set up and distribute daily snack, and all project materials needed for each day
- Ensure that all after school spaces, materials, and equipment are left clean and organized
- Demonstrated experience with the Alliance's core values and a clear commitment to them
- Background in education, mentoring, STEM, the arts, athletics/movement, teambuilding, and/or Jewish learning.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
- Working knowledge of the growth and development of elementary age children and ability to utilize this information in the classroom
- Strong written and oral communications skills
- Ability to set priorities and handle multiple projects. Strong organizational skills
- Enthusiastic and self-motivated individual who is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, including occasional nights and weekends
- Ability to work closely with others in a team environment and effectively interact with all levels of management, parents and volunteers
- Must have or willingness to obtain Pediatric First Aid and CPR certification
- High School Diploma or GED
- Must pass criminal background check and TB (Tuberculosis) test clearance dated within the last 6 months
- Prior experience working with children in an organized setting
- Judaic knowledge or willingness to acquire
- Understanding of DHS regulations or willingness to acquire
Apply: Send resume and cover letter to James Rawl at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Jewish Alliance of Greater Rhode Island (the Alliance) serves to enrich the quality of life for Jews in Rhode Island, in Israel, and around the world. Today's Alliance is where the community comes together as one to develop responses to critical issues facing Rhode Island. We do this through philanthropy, education and wellness opportunities, community relations, and by convening agencies, synagogues, and organizations to address issues of common concern. Together, we translate Jewish tradition and values into action. All of our work is guided by our core values:
Tzedakah: upholding the Jewish traditions of righteous giving and justice.
L'dor v'dor: securing a future filled with Jewish tradition and heritage.
Tikkun Olam: repairing the world.
Hineni: standing with others so no one stands alone.
Klal Yisrael: supporting worldwide Judaism and the State of Israel.
Torah: pursuing knowledge and lifelong learning.