Location and Job Title:
Swim Instructor (part time - will train)
JCC Greater Boston
333 Nahanton St
Newton, MA 02459
This may surprise you but, Swim Instructors do not need to be strong swimmers or experienced trainers. They have to like children and be open to guiding children through a carefully crafted curriculum, building confidence and skills. At JCC Greater Boston, we train our swim instructors in the Lenny Krazelberg methodology and provide lots of team support. The Aquatics Team is a lively and fun group to work with. We are seeking new team members who possess high standards, a strong customer service orientation and great teamwork. This is a part time position with flexible hours.
The JCC is deeply committed to valuing and celebrating the uniqueness of each constituent. We welcome staff and participants from diverse backgrounds. While being proudly Jewish, we strive in every way to provide an open and welcoming setting for all, irrespective of personal practices, beliefs or background. We are guided by JCC Greater Boston core values - Belonging, Joyfulness, Collaboration and Transformation - which resonate with many who do not identify as Jewish.
- Ensures the safety of every pool patron through education and attentiveness
- Teaches swimmers (children and adults) using predesigned lessons. Sessions may be with individuals or groups. Lessons may require hands on work in the pool with young children.
- Builds swimmers' confidence, skills and love of swimming
- Tracks skill development (record keeping)
- Sets up and breaks down equipment
- Enforces the rules and regulations of the pools consistently
- Maintains good working relationships with staff members, maintenance personnel, and administrative personnel.
- Resolves member concerns in a professional manner or escalates them, as appropriate
- Able and willing to follow directions from supervisors and follow protocols
- Develops professional relationships with members
- Attend all mandatory trainings and in-services
- Support JCC goals and objectives
- Other activities as required by the organization
PAY RATE: $25-32/hour based on experience
If you have the qualifications described above and seek to be part of a dynamic, collaborative and family-friendly team, please apply by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Must be 16 years of age or older at time of hire
- Must have good communications skills with children
- A strong team player approach
- Committed to delivering quality customer service
- Highly dependable
- Personable and friendly; able to build strong relationships with students
Greater Boston requires that new employees be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 at
time of hire. The JCC will consider requests for medical or religious
exemption that do not pose undue hardship or a direct threat to health or
- Able to see, hear and cognitively recognize situations requiring lifeguarding services
- Capable of working in a high temperature and high humidity environment for extended periods while wearing required personal protective equipment
- Able to make safety related decisions and perform CPR and/or first aid, as required
- Read, write, understand and speak English
- Able to work in pool environment which is subject to noise and humidity. Able to be in the pool for 2+ hours
- Must maintain an appropriate level of fitness in order to competently perform all job related tasks including the ability to swim distances of 25 meters and dive to pool depth of 6 feet or more, and to lift 50 pounds or more.
- Able to hold a child in the water
- Able to wear a face shield
The JCC Greater Boston values include: Belonging, Joyfulness, Collaboration and Transformation. The agency provides a variety of programs and services to children and adults in the Greater Boston Jewish community including: Early Learning Centers, summer camps, health and wellness programs, family engagement programs and cultural activities. The JCC is deeply committed to valuing and celebrating the uniqueness of each constituent. While being proudly Jewish, we strive in every way to provide an open and welcoming setting for all, irrespective of personal practices, beliefs or background.
Our vision is to create a vibrant and evolving Jewish community where everyone belongs. Our mission is to be at the heart of that community by:
- creating a thriving community that nurtures meaningful and lasting relationships,
- welcoming a growing and increasingly diverse set of individuals and families from all over Greater Boston,
- supporting the building of unique identities rooted in Jewish values and deeper connections to Jewish life,
- nourishing minds, bodies, and spirits through dynamic, innovative, and accessible experiences, and
- expanding engagement by partnering closely with other organizations to ensure the continuing vitality of our community as whole.
COVID SAFETY JCC Greater Boston takes the welfare and safety of staff and children very seriously. Over 96% of our staff have been vaccinated. We have aligned all of our operating procedures with guidance from the CDC, DEEC (Department of Early Education and Care) and the local and state Departments of Public Health. Our practices include ensuring proper physical distancing, sanitation, hygiene, and use of face coverings to promote the health of our staff and program participants.