You are here: Home
| Search for a Job
Location and Job Title:
Visual Arts Specialist
YM & YWHA of Washington Heights & Inwood
54 Nagle Ave
New York, NY 10040
At Camp Twelve Trails we are dedicated to universally shared values central to Jewish life. Our proactive integration of these values into everything we do supports children of all backgrounds and helps them grow into better people. Our warm, welcoming culture fosters a vibrant camp community where we all look out for each other and take care of the world around us. Staff are central to carrying out this vision by crafting programs that are in line with our educational outcomes, beliefs, and providing positive, enthusiastic energy every day. We expect staff above all to deliver the wow!
At Camp Twelve Trails Activity Specialists develop and implement educationally-rich, experiential programming at camp. Our visual arts specialist will design and lead art projects for campers entering Kindergarten - 10th grade. Projects should cover a wide range of mediums and be developmentally appropriate for each age group. Our goal is to ensure campers can explore their creativity and build new passions while at camp!
DUTIES PRE CAMP
- Help in developing scope and sequence for neighborhood curriculum, and personalize, scale and implement lesson plans.
- Participate in training and collaborative lesson planning.
- Produce and deliver lesson plans.
DUTIES DURING CAMP
- Facilitate visual arts programming with campers. Including teaching 4-6 classes a day, with prep and lunch period each day
- Put together lesson plans that are age appropriate and engaging.
- Advise the supervisor on equipment and supply needs.
- Create and maintain a learning environment for campers.
- Assist in the maintenance of a clean and safe camp environment.
- Collaborate with other specialists.
- Participate and help plan camp-wide special events.
- Assist with post camp clean up and shut down of all program spaces.
- Maintain positive working relationships with all staff, and work closely with counselor staff to ensure successful lessons/workshops.
- Perform any other program or agency-related duties or special projects as directed by supervisor.
- Staff lunch is provided by camp each day.
- Free summer fitness membership at our 3 JCC's
- Experience teaching visual arts with children
- Experience with curriculum development
- Excel at working collaboratively with others
- Sensitivity and commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Status: Seasonal, Mondays through Fridays, June 28 - August 18th, including 40-45 hours of staff training in June held on some Sundays and evenings. No camp on July 3rd or July 4th.
Hours: 8:00am-5:00pm during the summer
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Additional functions and responsibilities may change or may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
YM & YWHA of Washington Heights & Inwood provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law.
Established in 1917 as one of the first Jewish community centers in New York City, the YM & YWHA of Washington Heights and Inwood (the Y) is a thriving and visionary not-for-profit human services organization in Northern Manhattan. We welcome people of diverse ethnicities and all ages, from pre-school to older adults, into the Y family with a wide range of educational, recreational and social services and programs that focus on improving the quality of their lives. With a long and distinguished history, the Y is a multi-service community center that is well known for its nurturing environment and non-judgmental philosophy.