Location and Job Title:
Director of Fitness & Recreational Sports
Arthur M. Glick JCC of Indianapolis
6701 Hoover Rd
Indianapolis, IN 46260
The Director of Fitness and Recreational Sports is responsible for Fitness Center operations and programs and for coordinating sports and recreational programming for all pre-school, youth and adult leagues and sessions (including summer sports camps, seasonal sports leagues, skill classes, etc.).The Director develops and promotes yearly strategic program planning to provide creative and value-added programs and activities for members. Works with Assistant Director of Fitness to oversee the day-to-day supervision and administration of the fitness center. Assist with supervision of group exercise instructors and provide direct supervision of client service providers, including but not limited to personal trainers, Pilates reformer instructors and nutrition coach, summer/seasonal camp staff. The Director of Fitness and Recreational Sports will work closely and in partnership with the Director of Membership and Aquatics to ensure that the highest standards of customer service and staff training are being implemented throughout all program areas.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist with the continual development, implementation and evaluation of all fitness and wellness programs for all JCC constituents;
- Help develop and promote regular program schedules to provide creative and value-added classes, programs and activities for members;
- Develop and coordinate fitness/wellness program for JCC employees in conjunction with HR;
- Provide support to Assistant Director of Fitness in the development, implementation and schedule of group exercise classes and proactively monitor instructor quality and class participation;
- Recruit, hire, train and supervise group exercise instructors, personal trainers and Pilates reformer instructors as needed;
- Monitor, evaluate and document staff performance throughout the year;
- Process bi-weekly payroll;
- Maintain record keeping of all trainer agreements, medical clearance forms and attendance sheets for all classes;
- Participate in developing budget for applicable departments; review budgets monthly and make any necessary adjustments;
- Conduct and coordinate certifications for professional, camp and seasonal employees.
- Participate in lay-leader committee and board meetings and generate reports for review;
- Attend agency and fitness center staff meetings/training and development.
- Monitor fitness facility equipment maintenance and record keeping; schedule repairs as necessary;
- Ensure that the exercise equipment for group exercise classes is safe, clean and in proper working order;
- Participate in building coverage on a regular rotational basis; may include opening, closing and weekend/holiday shifts
- Responsible for working cross departmentally to achieve Fitness/Sports goals;
- Develop comprehensive plan to identify, develop and retain participants in all sports and recreation programs;
- Develop and organize youth sports programs that meet the needs of our JCC families, either through JCC instructors and contracted partnerships that currently exist;
- Assume responsibility for all gymnasium activities, including gym rentals which includes creating contracts and acquiring proper insurance in certain instances;
- Assume responsibility for preparation of the athletic field;
- Co-staff the committees related to Sports and Fitness;
- Plan and implement summer sports camps; supervise staff and programming;
- Provide 5-10 hours per week of Direct Service through Group Ex instruction, Personal Training, instructing sports or any combination of the 3;
- Complete additional responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in exercise science or a related area;
- 2-3 years experience working in a fitness or wellness environment;
- CPR/AED certification;
- ACSM Exercise Leadership Certification or NSCA Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist preferred;
- American Red Cross Instructor certification preferred (or obtained within 12 months).
- Ability to create, manage and adapt a broad wellness plan in coordination with lay leadership and staff;
- Ability to instruct exercise programs;
- Experience in supervising staff (including recruiting, training, and conducting performance reviews);
- Focus on customer service and strong communication skills with highly diverse population;
- Strong functional knowledge of MS Office applications and the ability to learn proprietary software;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Strong teaching and presentation skills;
- Demonstrated ability in fitness testing, evaluation and risk screening.
This person must be able to work independently in a fast-paced environment. The position requires high mobility, standing, walking, bending and sitting. Must be able to climb steps, bend and move. Must be able to lift, carry or move significant weight (ie, weight equipment in excess of 100 pounds).The incumbent will be required to work rotating evenings, weekends and holidays as it relates to implementation/supervision of programming and interaction with members.
45,000 - 55,000
Whether you come to the JCC to work out, swim, shoot hoops, hang out at the water park or bring your kids to a class, you can count on feeling better when you leave than you did when you came in. You'll find that the JCC is so much more than fitness. Our members come from all walks of life and have interests ranging from childcare to water aerobics; from summer camp to adult continuing education; and from yoga to boot camp. We're situated on 40 beautiful acres on Indy's northwest side. We invite you to see for yourself why we say: Open to everyone. Something for everyone. Visit www.JCCindy.org, call 251-9467 or stop in for a tour.