Location and Job Title:
YM & YWHA of Washington Heights & Inwood
54 Nagle Ave
New York, NY 10040
SONYC and COMPASS After School at Columbia Secondary School:
Columbia Secondary School (CSS) is a Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics-focused public school that serves students in the sixth through eighth grade (SONYC) and ninth and tenth grade (COMPASS). These programs are focused on leadership, STEM, social-emotional learning, community service, and academics. In these programs, students engage in electives across a wide variety of disciplines.
Activity Specialists are teachers in their particular disciplines and can motivate and inspire young people to learn and be excited to engage with activities in these fields.
Activity Specialists are responsible for developing activities, hands-on learning experiences, and lessons that meet every student's needs while fostering a fun, inclusive and respectful environment that welcomes all participants from diverse backgrounds, learning styles, and skill levels.
The individuals in these roles are role models to youth, always conducting themselves in the utmost professional manner and maintaining appropriate boundaries.
- Model and uphold Y and CSS values, policies and procedures
- Recruit and maintain the target number of program participants
- Ensure daily activity lessons plans and projects are structured, age-appropriate, and have clear learning goals based around a sequential curriculum
- Organize and supervise all participants in classes to promote mental, intellectual, and social development
- Establish and enforce appropriate rules for behavior, and engage in classroom management while teaching
- Teach fun, engaging and safe lessons in a logical and pedagogical sequence
- Adapt teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students' varying needs and interests
- Promote and ensure the progressive development of participants' skills
- Promote positive character development among participants and enforce rules and expectations
- Prep and clean up teaching space before and after each class
- Model appropriate behavior to participants and use positive behavior-management techniques when necessary to help solve students' problems
- Instill values of respect, group cooperation, fairness, and a love of learning to participants
- Follow all program rules and policies to adequately and safely watch over and dismiss participants
Expected Hours of Work:
- This position is part-time - core program hours are 2pm-6pm, Monday-Friday for the duration of the school year
- Program does not typically run on days when NYC public schools are not in session or having half days; staff may be asked to engage in professional development on these days in lieu of staffing the program
- Occasional weekend, evening and/or holiday hours may be expected to chaperone program field trips
- Electives are taught within classrooms in a NYC public school building
Compensation: Paid at $31 per hour
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other functions and responsibilities may change or be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
YM & YWHA of Washington Heights and Inwood provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal or local law
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience teaching in a classroom and/or extracurricular setting and writing lesson plans and curricula in conjunction with such teaching
- Experience especially with middle school-aged students preferred
- At least a high school diploma - college degree strongly preferred
- Proven ability to exercise mature judgment and sound decision making
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to speak professionally to participants, staff members, and parents
- Experience working in a multicultural, urban community
- Experience promoting the intellectual, social, cultural, and emotional well-being of students
- Staff generally should be able to stand and teach in a classroom for 1-3 hours at a time
Work Authorization and Clearance:
- Documentation of U.S. citizenship or eligibility to work within the U.S.
- Must pass 2 background checks, one administered by the NYC Department of Education (DOE) and one administered by the NYC Department of Health (DOH).Fingerprinting is required for both background checks.
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19
Established in 1917, YM & YWHA of Washington Heights and Inwood (the "Y") is a not-for-profit Jewish Community Center that welcome people of all backgrounds and beliefs.We offer a wide range of educational, recreational and social service programs to enhance the quality of life of those we serve.