Location and Job Title:
Director of Facilities
Katie and Irwin Kahn Jewish Community Center
306 Flora Drive
Columbia, SC 29223
Ensure overall facility upkeep, mechanical operation, aesthetic appearance, and safety including maintenance and repair of the physical plant, equipment, and grounds, and various systems including plumbing, electrical, and structural. Develop, implement, and maintain systems and procedures necessary to achieve high standards in building appearance and function. Must be a highly organized, self-directed, self-motivated, efficient, strategic problem solver and reliable team member with strong budget management skills and the highest personal integrity. Must be detail oriented and remain accurate, approachable, and collaborative with the pressures of deadlines, interruptions, and a variety of emergencies. This position is considered senior staff and reports directly to the CEO.
- Maintain to the highest possible quality the entire facility and all its systems including security, life safety systems, HVAC, electrical, water, pool, steam rooms, physical structure, parking lot/grounds, and fountain
- Supervision/oversight of all janitorial staff currently provided via an outside contractor
- Collaborate with administrative staff and coordinate janitorial staff to ensure all cleaning, room set-ups/breakdowns, repairs, grounds maintenance, and upkeep are done appropriately and in a timely manner
- Partner with CEO to develop facilities budget and advise other departments as needed
- Track short and long-term facility expenses, equipment, and resource needs of company and staff
- Maintain all receipts, records, and quotes to ensure facility operates within approved budget
- Implement a robust preventative maintenance program
- Develop vendor relationships, solicit bids, negotiate agreements, and hold accountable for high quality delivery
- Personally perform maintenance, construction, and repair tasks as needed in a high quality and timely manner
- Ensure that facilities/equipment meets or exceeds all applicable local, state, and national codes and regulations
- Follow established purchase approval process to monitor, maintain, repair, or replace systems, equipment, and supplies for facility including HVAC, cleaning, security/safety systems, paper goods, coffee service, etc.
- Foster collaborative culture by partnering with departments to identify, prioritize, and meet their facility needs
- Maintain inventory of all equipment, supplies, banquet items (tables, chairs, etc.), and all building keys
- Maintain in proper working condition security and surveillance systems in building and on campus
- Share senior team responsibility for overall security strategies and emergency procedures.
- Manage/support venue rental sales, event implementation, and customer service.
- Provide expertise and advice regarding facility, equipment, and systems to improve performance, reduce environmental impact, and reduce costs
- Maintain OSHA data sheets and any necessary departmental documentation
- Be available and responsive for building wide events and emergencies, including evenings and weekends
- Have a can-do attitude and do what is needed regardless of portfolio.
- Collaborate with staff to benefit the agency as a whole.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum 5 years hands-on experience leading commercial building facilities, structural, and grounds upkeep
- Ability to effectively use business software, Microsoft Office, and databases
- Exceptional written and verbal communication.
- Commitment to the inclusive mission of the JCC.
- Comfortable executing both high-level strategic and day-to-day administrative tasks.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to be approachable while also holding others accountable.
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment with multiple priorities and projects and many "hats."
- Experience in internal and external customer service a plus.
- Familiarity with Jewish culture and tradition preferred.
- Available for occasional evenings/weekends.
$45,000 - $55,000
The Katie and Irwin Kahn Jewish Community Center (JCC) is a friendly, welcoming, and inclusive community center in the Northeast area of Columbia, South Carolina. The mission of the JCC is to enhance the quality of life by providing comprehensive programs based on Jewish values, traditions, heritage, and culture. The JCC aims to promote unity through social, recreational, athletic, educational, and cultural programs, enriching and uniting the Jewish community and the community as a whole.
The JCC hosts a range of programs for people of all backgrounds, ages, and affiliation. Programs and special events for individuals and every family member include fitness, sports and recreational leagues, aquatics, summer camp, Jewish life, adult and senior activities, and community and member events.