Location and Job Title:
Senior Manager of Operations + Programs
6651 SW Capitol Hwy
Portland, OR 97219
INTRODUCTION: The Senior Manager of Operations + Programs provides daily oversight and supervision of the staff and programs in the fitness and camp departments. The Senior Manager of Operations + Programs is responsible for the development and implementation of programs in these areas that meet the needs and interests of the diverse membership of the Mittleman Jewish Community Center (MJCC). This position is responsible for ensuring that programs and services are delivered by staff with a strong commitment to customer service and in facilities that are clean, well-maintained, and appropriately equipped. The Senior Manager of Operations + Programs actively assists the Assistant Executive Director with the overall operational needs of the entire MJCC, as well as, actively promotes membership through a variety of means, including program development and special events. This position will directly oversee the fitness and camp departments, with the potential to shift and grow as we rebuild our membership.
SALARY RANGE: $60,000 -$68,000
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK: These examples represent the essential functions of the position and are not an exhaustive list of all duties that might be assigned.
- Assume management responsibilities for daily operations in the fitness and camps departments, and, take an active interest in all other departmental programs, including, sports, aquatics, membership, and cultural arts. Maintain and strengthen a strong philosophy of customer service in all departments; respond to member suggestions and concerns. Order equipment and supplies within budget; oversee equipment repairs and maintenance.
- Provide leadership in the area of fitness and camps. Research new trends and develop innovative programs and services to keep the MJCC competitive with local fitness clubs and day camps.
- Serve as a visible presence on a daily basis. Visit fitness and camp programs on an on-going basis. Be available onsite while camps are in session, including summer day camps and vacation and holiday camp programs. Note, this position primarily works business hours, but will be expected to have availability varied days and hours, including some holidays. (See the generous holiday policy below)!
- Hire, train, and mentor personnel in a collegial atmosphere of respect. Ensure that new hire paperwork is complete. Track certification and license expiration dates. Deliver staff orientation and training. Meet regularly with direct reports. Support and reinforce employee culture of customer service. Serve as an exemplary role model.
- Coordinate with HR Department in completing regular performance assessments. Work with direct reports to establish annual goals. Work with employees to correct performance deficiencies; implement disciplinary actions as needed.
- Support the efforts of the marketing department in the development of the program guide and program- specific posters and brochures. Actively promote MJCC services to members and the general community. Promote new programs, activities, equipment and materials to other departments and the community.
- Manage expenditures within identified budget limits; review monthly financial reports; provide information to the finance department as requested.
- Work alongside Assistant Executive Director and provide operational support to all JCC areas and programs as needs arise. Prepare and present written and verbal reports to the Assistant Executive Director as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS: Any combination of experience and training that demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position is qualifying. This would typically include:
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in health, fitness or camp administration, business or a closely related field.
- Management experience with a proven ability to assume increasingly significant levels of responsibility.
- Supervisory experience with a track record of developing and maintaining a cohesive team with a strong customer service orientation.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Familiarity with modern office equipment including personal computers and Microsoft Office software.
- Demonstrated skill in hiring, evaluating and supervising staff.
- Knowledge of operational characteristics, services and activities common to fitness clubs and camps, management practices related to program management, personnel management and customer service. Knowledge of fitness and camp program development.
- Ability to meet and deal courteously and effectively with other employees, user groups, community groups and the public.
- Ability to maintain accurate, organized records and to prepare reports.
- Relevant experience in a comparable facility; strong interest in learning additional skills related to the overall operational management of a large non-profit community center.
55,000 - 65,000
ABOUT US: Mittleman Jewish Community Center is a vital institution for Jewish culture and identification, proud to offer its programs and services to everyone. For more than 100 years, the MJCC has offered educational, social, cultural and recreational programs.