Location and Job Title:
Jewish Federation of Greater Toledo
6465 Sylvania Avenue
Sylvania, OH 43560
The Jewish Federation & Foundation of Greater Toledo (JFGT) seeks an engaging, dynamic, and motivated professional to join our team as a Controller. The Controller position is a full-time, exempt professional employee of the Jewish Federation/Foundation of Greater Toledo (JFGT). The Controller is responsible for both operational and programmatic support to the organization. The Controller supervises the Department of Finance and Accounting (DFA), Human Resources Specialist & Burial Coordinator, and is the chief financial spokesperson for the organization.
Salary commensurate with experience ($85,000-95,000) plus benefits including healthcare, retirement, paid time off, professional development expenses, YMCA family membership.
- Bachelors degree with a concentration in accounting or similar business degree required.
- Minimum 5-7 years in non-profit or public accounting with knowledge of non-profit accounting. The ideal candidate would have strong knowledge of fund accounting, be comfortable presenting financial statements to multiple audiences.
- CPA preferred but not required.
- Knowledge of electronic recordkeeping systems and the use of technology, specifically but not required in Financial Edge and Foundant. Must be proficient in Microsoft Office products, particularly in Excel.
- Effective at forging strong interpersonal alliances at all levels both within and outside the organization.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Organizational and Analytical skills as it relates to the duties and responsibilities listed below.
- Strong ability to teach and mentor the accounting department and maintain a network of professional relationships.
The Controller reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and directly assists on the strategic and tactical matters as they relate to budget management, cost benefit analysis, and forecasting needs.
- Plan, direct and coordinate all accounting operational functions.
- Build an effective financial management team that includes hiring, mentoring and retaining skilled accounting staff as well as developing the financial capacities of the department staff and lay-leadership.
- Coordinate and prepare accurate and timely internal and external financial statements.
- Supervise the Financial Analyst Officer, Accounts Payable Associate, Accounting Associate and Human Resource Specialist & Burial Coordinator positions.
- Manage all aspects related to the annual audit and tax reporting.
- Manage the budget process and present to the Finance Committee. Work with the department leaders to create the budget by program and review with the CEO.
- Manage and monitor compliance with all internal control polies and procedures, including monthly close process.
- Oversee business insurance plans.
- Oversee the maintenance of the inventory of all fixed assets.
- Monitor banking activities of the organization and ensure adequate cash flow to meet the organizations needs.
- Review and approve monthly work prepared by the accounting staff, such as departmental financial statements and bank reconciliations.
- Oversee reconciliation of all investment accounts and prepare requested reports for the investment committee.
- Provide leadership team and Finance Committee with information vital to decision making processes. Present financial statements at Finance Committee meetings.
- Work with key lay leadership on any financial matters.
- Provide staff support for Audit and Finance Committee.
- Evaluate accounting and internal control systems, making recommendations to improve processes.
- Manage the audit process to ensure the organization remains current on all State and Federal laws and regulations that pertain to the organization.
- Work collaboratively with the CEO to develop and implement new policies and procedures.
- Establish and maintain effective and collaborative working relationships with the other employees, the leadership team, and community partners.
- Coordination of the technology issues that arise and coordinate with the outside technology firm with regards to technology updates and improvements.
- System administrator for all accounting, foundation, and Microsoft software applications.
- Serve as the main contact for matters relating to the Toledo Jewish Community Cemetery Association.
- Other responsibilities as required by the position or CEO.
Applicants must include a cover letter stating interest in the position, a list of three (3) recent professional references who will only be contacted in case of a candidate being interviewed, and a resume of educational and professional experience. Application should be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
$85,000 - $95,000
With an annual operating budget of over $4 million dollars and a staff of approximately 30 full time team members, JFGT is the central address community programing, services and philanthropy for the Jewish community of northwest Ohio and part of southeast Michigan. JFGT includes a successful endowment program through the Toledo Jewish Community Foundation that stewards over $50 million dollars in community assets, a seven-figure annual campaign, a Jewish Senior, Family and Social Services division including a community food pantry, a professionally staffed Jewish Community Relations Council, a preschool in its own building, the PJ Library program, an active Next Jewish Generation program, Hillel programs at two state universities, exceptional programs for community members age 60 and better and a Toledo Jewish Community Cemetery Association that operates and maintains two cemeteries.
The Toledo Jewish community is small but continues to support three synagogues as well as Chabad. Toledo boasts the University of Toledo, the Toledo Mudhens, and the nationally recognized Toledo Zoo and Toledo Museum of Art. Toledo is at the cross-roads of America with easy north/south highway access on I-75 and east/west highway access on I-80. It is within 50 minutes driving to Ann Arbor, 55 minutes to Detroit, 2.5 hours to Cleveland, and 4 hours to Chicago.