Location and Job Title:
Shorefront YM-YWHA of Brighton Manhattan Beach
3300 Coney Island Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11235
Responsibilities of a Head Counselor include, but are not limited to:
- Head Counselors are responsible for a group of 10 - 15 children on a daily basis.
- Head counselors must ensure children's safety, manage children's behavior, and act as a role model and mentor.
- Model constructive participation in all daily activities.
- Work closely with Division Leader to ensure safety of all children.
- *Counselors must be at least 17 years of age. All Counselors must participate in several days of pre-camp trainings.
For more information and to apply, go to
Division Leader Requirements
- Minimum of 18 years of age (over 18 years old preferred).
- Language skills: Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from supervisors, co-workers, volunteers, members, and parents.
Additional Skills and Responsibilities:
- Lead by Example; Be a role model for campers and staff.
- Ability and willingness to work as a "team".
- Organized and possess excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Enthusiastic and High Energy.
- Willing to follow directions and take initiative.
- Flexible and able to adjust tasks in accordance with changing priorities.
Working Conditions/Physical requirements:
- Ability to recognize and respond to critical incidents and the physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency situation.
- Ability to adequately observe participant activities, enforces safety regulations, and applies appropriate policies and procedures.
- The physical ability to lead and interact in group activities and perform related skills.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee regularly is required to stand, walk, sit, stoop, kneel, or crouch. Also required to climb, push, and pull. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
- Ability to work both in an outside and inside environment, different temperature extremes.
- Ability and willingness to get in the swimming pool and Beach to supervise during swimming times.
- The working conditions described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Disclaimer: The duties described are not to be interpreted as being all-inclusive to any specific employee. Management reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind the work assignments of different positions and, when possible, to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job.
The Shorefront YM-YWHA of Brighton-Manhattan Beach, Inc. (SFY) builds community, strengthens families & empowers individuals to achieve their potential & enhance the quality their lives. Our programs & services reflect the richness of the Shorefront YM-YWHA's Community Center & Settlement House traditions. We reach out to & serve people of all backgrounds & abilities throughout their life spans.
We provide a wide range of exemplary educational, recreational, preventive & rehabilitative health, vocational, cultural, citizenship, Jewish identity-building & human service programs to meet the evolving strengths, needs & interests of the rich mosaic of people in southern Brooklyn.
The Shorefront YM-YWHA maximizes the impact of its resources & expertise by forming partnerships & alliances with other organizations, government agencies & philanthropic institutions that share our commitments & values.