Location and Job Title:
Artistic Director, JxJ
Edlavitch JCC of Washington, DC
1529 Sixteenth Street NW
Washington, DC 20036
The EDCJCC seeks an experienced and motivated Artistic director to set the artistic vision, programming strategy, and direction for the annual JxJ: Washington Jewish Film and Music Festival and robust slate of year-round film and music programming. JxJ is one of the nations leading presenters of contemporary Jewish and Israeli film and music, annually hosting programs for 30,000 patrons in 2019. After pivoting to mostly virtual programming in 2020-2021, JxJ returned to in-person programming for a scaled-down 2022 Festival, with the aim of returning to pre-pandemic volume by 2023-2024.
The ideal candidate will bring substantial knowledge and passion for films, music, and the artists and industry that support their output. Prior successful experience working with film distributors, sales agents, producers, musicians, talent agents, and PR companies is essential.
The Artistic Director reports to the Chief Executive Officer and supervises staff, including, temporary staff for the Festival.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com
- Establish a shared curational and strategic artistic direction, in concert with the EDCJCC CEO, programming colleagues across the institution, and the JxJ Council (a group of lay leaders and financial supporters committed to JxJs mission).
- Establish, maintain and deepen working relationships with film and music distributors, agents, producers, and independent artists. Actively track and check-in with projects in-progress, in late stages of production, and recently completed to secure relevant contemporary programming across the JxJ lineup.
- Book and negotiate all aspects of film, music, and artist invitations for JxJ programming.
- Oversee guest travel and needs in support of JxJ artistic programming.
- Plan thoughtful and engaging Q&As, panel conversations, and introductions to JxJ programming. In many cases introduce, moderate and/or lead panel discussions.
- Write, edit, and oversee the collection and creation of editorial and communication materials that connect audiences with the artistic lineup
- Balance forward-thinking and innovative programming with the diverse and evolving needs and desires of the EDCJCC audience to ensure a vibrant program that engages with critical themes and conversations for the DC public (both within and outside of the institutional Jewish world).
- Forge meaningful programmatic partnerships with a wide array of DC institutions and stakeholders, ranging from other Jewish/Israeli organizations, to NGOs, arts-focused entities, and more.
- Support the EDCJCCs development department by writing programmatic narratives for JxJ-specific grants, and by keeping individual donors appraised of relevant developments and opportunities to engage with JxJ programming.
- Manage a streamlined process of marketing and technical asset collection, working closely with JxJ and EDCJCC production staff to ensure best-in-class projection, sound, and technical presentation across all JxJ events.
We offer a competitive benefits package:
- Health insurance, including HSA/HDHP option
- Dental and vision insurance
- Life, short term, and long term disability
- Flexible Spending Accounts (health, dependent, commuter)
- Employee Assistance Program
- 401k retirement plan with company match
- Family membership and discounts on Fitness Center, Pool, theater and film tickets, Preschool, camp, and adult education classes
- Vacation and sick leave
- Generous holidays, including major Jewish holidays
Please send a cover letter and resume indicating qualifications for and interest in this position to Isabelle Badoux, HR Director.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- A palpable passion for, and knowledge of: film, music, Jewish cultural arts and related conversations.
- A track record of success and accomplishment in public programming, ideally in the film, music and/or Jewish context.
- A thorough and practical knowledge of the film and music industries, key players, companies, and professional presentation standards.
- A track record of balancing revenue targets with programmatic goals to offer unique and essential cultural experiences.
- A talent for professionally managing competing deadlines, complex relationships, and layered priorities.
- A comfort with public speaking, and ability to connect with audiences and artists from a wide variety of backgrounds, interests, and perspectives.
- The ability to maintain grace and composure under pressure
- Experience and familiarity with Washington, DC Jewish, Israeli and/or arts communities a major plus.
- Strong leadership and experience mentoring staff
$65,000 - $75,000
The goals of the Edlavitch DCJCC are to preserve and strengthen Jewish identity, heritage, tradition and values through a wide variety of social, cultural, recreational, and educational programs and services. The Center accomplishes these goals in ways that reflect the unique location and role of the Center in the nation's Capital and the many contributions of the American Jewish community in the United States.
While the Center is designed primarily to fulfill the needs of the Jewish community and to preserve and enhance the culture, traditions, ethics, and philosophy of Judaism, membership and participation in activities of the Center are open to all residents of the metropolitan area. The Edlavitch DCJCC is a member of the Jewish Community Center Association, a beneficiary agency of the Jewish Federation of Greater Washington, and a designated agency of the United Way.
The Edlavitch DCJCC does not support or oppose candidates for elected public office. Opinions expressed at all programs of the Washington DCJCC belong solely to those expressing them. The Edlavitch DCJCC partners with many organizations and groups to present programs, but does not endorse the political views or policy positions of any program partner. The Edlavitch DCJCC is committed to presenting a wide selection of programs that present multiple viewpoints and encourage you to visit our calendar www.edcjcc.org/calendar for information on dialogues and public affairs programming.