Location and Job Title:
Sports & Swim Specialist - Summer Camp
Jewish Silicon Valley / Addison-Penzak JCC
14855 Oka Road
Los Gatos, CA 95032
Position: Sports & Swim Specialist - Summer Camp
Classification: Seasonal, non-benefitted, At-Will, June 2022- Aug. 2022
Reports to: Reports to the Assistant Youth & Camp Director
The Camp Specialists will under the direction of the Assistant Camp & Youth Director be responsible for planning and leading camp programs for campers ages 7-12. They will prepare and implement programming for Sports and Swimming activities. This position will assist youth in learning skills in differing traditional sports (basketball, soccer, volleyball) and play non-traditional sports/games (dodgeball, yoga, gaga ball, etc.) teaching skills and fun. While playing a wide variety of sports and activities with youth to encourage being active and having fun while developing skills.Time commitment for this position is 20 hours preparation leading up to camp, then 8:30am-4:30pm Monday Through Friday during the months of June-August, additional hours as needed. Must be able to commit to a full 9 weeks, June 6th - August 5th.
Areas of Responsibility
- Be responsible for overall operations of the program including activity planning, implementation and safety management for campers ages 6-15.
- Develop a supply list for Assistant Camp Director approval prior to summer camp beginning and at the end of summer submit an inventory list.
- Maintain a high quality of instruction for campers.
- Attend and participate in pre-camp meetings and pre-camp preparation work.
- Assist with the overall Camp Program, including the planning and implementation of camp programs, development of weekly schedules and camper satisfaction.
- Develop activities that are innovative, creative and exciting. Ensure that programs reflect the developmental level of each camper, as well as meeting the goals of Camp Shalom's Mission.
- Arrange and maintain activity area in an orderly manner, inventory and direct clean-up operations of the area on a daily basis.
- Enforce camp rules consistently. (Develop, implement and post rules for your assigned area.)
- Rotate camp responsibilities in conjunction with other Program Specialists under the direction of the Camp Director and Assistant Camp Director including lunch time supervision, swim supervision, field trips, all camp activities, special events and other duties as needed.
- Assume all other duties and assignments deemed appropriate by the Camp Director and Assistant Camp Director.
- Be able to communicate with campers and provide instructions.
- Visual ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to the activity.
- Ability to observe camper behavior, assess appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures and apply appropriate behavior management techniques.
- Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid.
- Cognitive and communication abilities to plan and conduct the activity to achieve camper ability and development objectives.
- Must be able to commit to a minimum of 9 weeks between June 6tht-August 5th.
**Ability to work traditional business hours as well as non-traditional hours as business dictates. To include but not limited to weekends and evening.
Effect on End Result: The effectiveness of this position will be measured by:
- Purposeful and coordinated programs that advance Camp and JSV strategic goals, good public relations, sound financial position and good records systems;
- A positive working environment that allows for creative thinking, positive attitudes, teamwork and self-development.
- Permeation of Tiferet (contributing to the greater good) throughout all JSV programs, services and interactions. This position description is not intended to be all-inclusive.
Qualifications and competencies:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty at a high-quality level. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or experience:
- Minimum four years of experience working with school age children
- Minimum two years supervisory experience prefered
- Minimum of 18 years of age
- ECE units or Recreation units desired
Specific Certification Requirements:
- Current American Red Cross CPR for Child and Adult Certification
- Current American Red Cross Basic First Aid Certification
- Completion and clearance of background fingerprint assessment via the JSV Live scan location.
** Employees at the JSV may have availability to attend in-house Certification courses, please check with Camp Director as to availability
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from supervisors, co-workers, parents, volunteers, members, donors and the general public
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Must possess the ability to make sound independent decisions when circumstances warrant such action
Other Skills, Requirements, Abilities and Personal Characteristics:
- Ability and willingness to work as a "team"
- Organized and possess excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Able to set and meet deadlines
- Enthusiastic, dependable and a sense of humor
- Willing to follow directions and take initiative
- Understanding of the JSV mission as well as a commitment to be a positive role model
- Even-tempered and able to adjust tasks in accordance with changing priorities.
Working Conditions/Physical requirements:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical incidents and the physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency situation.
- Ability to adequately observe participant activities, enforces safety regulations, and applies appropriate policies and procedures.
- The physical ability to lead and interact in group activities and perform related skills.
- Ability work both in an outside and inside environment, may involve different temperature extremes.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear.
- The employee regularly is required to stand, walk, sit, stoop, kneel, or crouch. Also, may be required to climb, push, and pull at times.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
The working conditions described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Disclaimer: This job description indicates in general terms, the type and level of work performed as well as the typical responsibilities of employees in this classification. The duties described are not to be interpreted as being all-inclusive to any specific employee. Management reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind the work assignments of different positions and, when possible, to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job. Nothing in this position description changes the at-will employment relationship existing between JSV and its employees.
Amenities include fitness center, heated pool, children's pool, lighted tennis courts, full gymnasium, event auditorium and meeting rooms, athletic field, physical therapy clinic, free parking, acclaimed preschool for ages 18 months-5 years, day camp, recreation program for children with special needs, birthday parties, Center for Jewish Life & Learning, holiday celebrations, Judaica and Hebrew classes, enrichment classes on a variety of topics for all ages, sports programs for children and adults. Event rentals available.