Location and Job Title:
Elementary School Principal
Jewish for Good at the Levin JCC
1937 W. Cornwallis Road
Durham, NC 27705
The Elementary School Principal is a fulltime, salaried exempt position (12 month contract).This position is serves as the face of the school, is responsible for leading the day-to-day operations of the school and will be the primary administrative contact for both faculty, students and parents alike.
Director/Principal level positions at Jewish for Good are members of the Senior Professional Staff and serve as a lead face of the organization. Directors/Principals are responsible for the strategic and tactical oversite of their division/program area.
This position reports to the CEO of Jewish for Good and will supervise the Dean of Students, Executive Manager, and Classroom Faculty, Staff and Specialists.
Build and Support Faculty
- Assign, supervise, mentor, evaluate, and recruit (as needed) faculty and staff for the Lerner Elementary School.
- Plan and conduct faculty meetings and ongoing professional development.
- Provide autonomy to faculty and ensure a sense of accountability in areas of instruction and student achievement.
- Setting the tone of the school; promote a positive sense of camaraderie, professionalism, and trust in the workplace; fostering a culture of hakarat hatov (calling out the good.)
Create Environment for Learning and Growing
- Design, evaluate and update the curriculum, textbooks, and other educational resources, in line with the schools mission and educational philosophy, in partnership with faculty, which includes, but is not limited to core subjects, Judaic, Hebrew, Visual Arts, Music, and Physical Education.
- Monitor the implementation and execution of the curriculum and overall progress of students.
- Develop school year calendar and work
closely with faculty to coordinate school-wide programs and events.
- Oversee all
aspects of the Lerner Elementary School budget; working closely with CEO to
establish tuition rates, salaries, and other expenses.
regular and episodic communications with families; including weekly Gesher and
ongoing communications via ClassTag
- Assist the Dean
of Students in matters of retention and recruitment.
- Manage all
aspects of the schools accreditation (SAIS) and state related school
- Serve as
point person for the Parent Association.
participate on leadership team, committees, and their initiatives.
collaboratively with Jewish for Good Professional team
positive behavior and classroom management, primarily by supporting team
members in the classrooms and secondarily through direct interventions, where
- Embrace and
assist Classroom Faculty with differentiation to meet the individual needs of
- Eligible to work in the United States.
- Master's Degree in Education in related field.
- Approximately ten (10) years or more of experience working in a school setting, including several years of supervisory and/or leadership experience in an educational setting
- Experience teaching in an elementary school and ability to support faculty in all areas of curriculum.
- The flexibility to meet job requirements beyond the school day.
- Knowledge and experience with Responsive Classroom and differentiated instruction.
- Pursuit of continual growth and professional development
- Passion for working with children and creating the best conditions for learning and growth
- Commitment to the success of all students through advocacy, relationship-building, and creative thinking to ensure student success
- Strong written, oral, and non-verbal communication skills, including interacting with compassion and empathy
- Positive attitude and good judgement in the face of challenging situations
- Capacity for creative problem solving, critical thinking, ability to think on one's feet, and flexibility
- Excellent work ethic, models respect, honesty, and integrity
$85,000 - $95,000
Jewish for Good at the Levin JCC is an integrated organization, which includes what in other communities is considered the JCC, Jewish Family Services, Jewish Community Foundation, and Jewish Federation. Additionally under the umbrella, now includes the Lerner Jewish Community Day School.
The Sandra E. Lerner Jewish Community Day School opened in 1995 as the first school of its kind in the Triangle region of North Carolina.Today, the Lerner School continues to thrive.It has grown to include a preschool program, Kindergarten through 5th grade classes, and a full array of enrichment programs.
At the Lerner Elementary School, we are committed to achieving the highest standard of academic excellence, fostering learning of Jewish values, culture and traditions while building a diverse and caring community one mensch at a time.We practice this each day through:
- One child at a time.
- Academic excellence.
- Jewish continuity, community and culture.
- Pluralistic, diverse environment.
- Hands-on, integrated learning.
- Community of life-long learners.
- Safe and caring community.
- Social responsibility and ethical thinking.
These eight core concepts are brought to life through our dual curriculum, which teaches students knowledge and values, in both Judaic and General Studies.Additionally, students have opportunities each week to learn Hebrew, explore arts, music, & physical education, engage in Mitzvot, and have chances to play, ensuring we are attending to the whole child.
As of July 2023, the Lerner School became an entity of Jewish for Good, the umbrella organization of the local Jewish community at the Levin JCC. The Elementary School reports to the Jewish for Good Board of Directors, which has a representative of the Learning Committee on it.