Location and Job Title:
Assistant Executive Director
6651 SW Capitol Highway
Portland, OR 97219
The Assistant Executive Director oversees day-to-day operations of the MJCC, and is responsible for developing, implementing and operating MJCC fitness, sports, aquatic, member services, and day camp programs.This position has broad oversight of almost all programming offered at the MJCC, and is involved on a daily basis with supporting each of these programs and serves as the first point of contact for center needs during all operational hours. The Assistant Executive Director supports each of these programs with program development, hiring, budget development and management and planning for future improvement and growth. The right candidate for this position will have excellent organizational and collaboration skills, as well as a desire to mentor and support those working for them.
- Assume management responsibility for day-to-day operations of the fitness, aquatics, sports, member services and day camp programs.
- Create and maintain a customer service philosophy in all departments; respond to member complaints and resolve difficult or controversial issues.
- Coordinate with member services, maintenance, facility rental, and other departments to ensure smooth service delivery and positive experiences for members and guests.
- Assume senior management responsibility for all services and activities of the fitness, sports, aquatic, member services, and day camp departments.
- Develop systems to monitor and evaluate service efficacy and member satisfaction; respond effectively to opportunities for improvement.
- Research new trends; develop programs and services to keep the MJCC competitive within the industry, and to meet the evolving needs of the community.
- Support the development of a variety of activities, presentations, exhibits and events to promote Jewish identity and cultural unity, through collaboration with the cultural arts program.
- Hire, train and mentor managers for each department, provide a high level of support for entry level managers to develop roles and responsibilities.
- Support HR needs, including employee relations, scheduling concerns and assist in onboarding employees.
- Develop a staff training calendar; provide or coordinate trainings.
- Support and reinforce an employee culture of customer service.
- Manage employee performance to maximize the talents of a diverse workforce.
- Work with employees to correct performance deficiencies; implement disciplinary actions.
- Participate in the development of the annual budget; forecast funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies.
- Manage expenditures within identified budget limits; review financial reports; provide information to the finance department as requested.
- Prepare and present verbal and written reports to the MJCC Board, community groups, staff and others.Prepare correspondence as needed.
- Assist in understanding, developing and distributing campus emergency procedures.
Required education and experience:
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in recreation administration, business, or a related field.
- Five years' senior-level program management experience with a verifiable track record of sales growth and customer satisfaction.
- Five years' supervisory experience with a track record of developing and maintaining a cohesive, loyal team; strong conflict resolution skills.
- Critical thinking and analytical skills, with a proven ability to effectively solve problems.
- Competence with modern office equipment including personal computers, Microsoft Office Software and Google Applications.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing.
- An ability and willingness to have a flexible schedule as needed, including work early mornings, evenings and weekends.
- Must be able to do a considerable amount of walking, standing, bending, stooping and lifting up to 40 lbs., with or without reasonable accommodations.
Preferred education and experience:
- Relevant experience in a comparable sports/fitness/aquatic facility or community center is desirable.
ABOUT US: The Mittleman Jewish Community Center (MJCC) is an inclusive and welcoming hub for a diverse community, both Jewish and non-Jewish, fostering lifelong wellness and providing dynamic social and educational experiences. The MJCC has been a vital part of the greater Portland community for over 100 years, providing a wide variety of recreational programming for all ages, wonderful fitness facilities, cultural events and more.