Location and Job Title:
Employment Coordinator for Youth and Employment Initiative, Full Time Temporary to August 1, 2022
Commonpoint Queens - Samuel Field Y
58-20 Little Neck Parkway
Little Neck, NY 11362
Department Overview: Commonpoint Queens (Samuel Field YM&YWHA) Adult Workforce Department is comprised of employment and support programs serving individuals predominantly adults 18 and over and opportunity youth ages 16-24. The department provides access to occupational training, education, resources, and support programs for individuals who are motivated to enter the workforce.
The position is contract-based and will be temporary until August 1, 2022 with a possibility of extension or other internal job opportunities.
The employment coordinator will provide work readiness and job placement to young workers who are out-of-school, unemployed and underemployed, and reside in zip codes impacted by high rates of gun violence. This initiative treats gun violence as a public health crisis and includes short-term solutions as well as long-term strategies that focus on community based intervention and prevention strategies to break the cycle of violence. A key component of prevention strategy is to provide access to and readiness for career opportunities for out-of-school young people.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop employer and community partnerships with local businesses that lead to employment opportunities, internship sites, and mentoring opportunities for participants.
- Establish employer and internship partnerships, with a focus in the allied health, IT, culinary field.
- Be accountable for significant job development, employer relationship building, and participant recruitment targets.
- Screen and place participants into quality employment that leads to career advancement; hit contractual goals for job placement (125 placements annual), with the support of the adult workforce and opportunity youth team.
- Collect data from employers related to job orders, including job requirements and skills; match job skills with applicant qualifications; refer qualified applicants to employers, and conduct necessary follow-up when applicants are placed in positions.
- Monitor employment progress of individuals placed in employment.
- Provide work readiness preparation training.
- Work with participants to identify skill and education gaps.
- Plan an initial set of activities to begin taking necessary actions towards improving their employability. This includes sequential and concurrent activities.
- Locate jobs for participants who have successfully completed medical training programs in the areas of EKG Technician, Phlebotomy Technician, Nurse's Aide, Pharmacy technician, Medical Billing, and Dialysis Technician. IT Network Support, and Culinary.
- Assist participants in assessing their job skills for positions; administer and scores standard career assessments; instruct in job seeking, application procedures, resume writing, interview preparation and job retention skills and attitudes.
- Maintain contact with employers during participants' employment and report results to appropriate staff; may drive participants to interviews, job fairs, and other organizations; prepare forms and reports related to placement activities; track participant activity and progress through data and case notes; assist instructors in the collection of educational materials as requested.
- BA/BS in social work, counseling, psychology, business, human resources or related fields with two plus year's relevant work experience.
- Experience working with career counseling consumers in a high volume work environment, particularly in a human services or workforce development.
- Demonstrate cultural competency through familiarity in working with people from a very diverse number of backgrounds.
- Computer literate, including experience with all Microsoft Office software packages, local area networks, and the Internet.
45,000 - 55,000
Commonpoint Queens is a non-profit, multi service agency with a flagship site in Forest Hills and 33 additional sites throughout the community that provides a diverse array of programs and services to over 35,000. Our mission is to sustain and enhance the quality of family and individual life for all members of our community, regardless of religion, ethnic or cultural background, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual preference, age, or disability, within a pervasive and inclusive environment that facilitates individual growth, meets individual needs and builds community. We accomplish this mission through a broad range of social, educational, and recreational services that reach community members of all ages and backgrounds.