Location and Job Title:
Assistant Camp Director
YM & YWHA of Washington Heights & Inwood
54 Nagle Ave
New York, NY 10040
Camp Twelve Trails gives children entering Kindergarten - 10th grade the best of both specialty and traditional day camp programs. It is comprised of five Neighborhoods (elective tracks): Play, Create, Explore, Discover, and Grow that allow campers to strengthen their skills in their favorite specialty while encouraging them to explore new areas. Our program is rooted in universally shared values central to Jewish life. These values are incorporated in everything we do, with the hope that it encourages our staff and campers to be the best versions of themselves.
The primary function of every member of the year-round Camp Twelve Trails team is to recruit and retain Campers as well as ensure the safety of all members of the camp community.
Camp's Assistant Director will serve as a member of the camp leadership team. They will support the overall organization of the camp team. During the year this position will focus on staffing, programming and operations with the support of Camp's Director. They will act as key member of our Inclusion and Program Committees to ensure accountability
Specific year-round responsibilities of the Assistant Camp Director:
- Support Camp Director as a key member of the camp leadership team.
- Support Camp leadership with registration and inquiries.
- Work with Camp Director to maintain Camp's ACA accreditation status and Dept of Health Permit through proper file management
- Support Associate Director of Youth & Recreation with Camp Twelve Trails Vacation Camp programs run during school breaks
- Participate in Inclusion Committee Meetings throughout the year
- Support Camp Director and Program Committee with scheduling, calendar and special event planning
- Manage ordering for all camp departments
- Maintain inventory for all camp departments
- Work with HR team on all logistics related to our staff hiring process
- Work with HR team to insure proper onboarding of all summer staff including all paperwork
- Represent camp at recruitment events for both staff and campers
- Support camp team with social media presence and strategy
- Assist camp team with the creation of new programs and the expansion of existing programs
- Assist the entire leadership team in the planning and preparation for staff training
- Support Camp Director will all day to day operations of Camp
- Partner with HKC (campgrounds) staff to ensure camp is well maintained
- Act as a leader and role model for camp staff
- Directly supervise the Camp Operations team which includes, but is not limited to, the Transportation staff, Aquatics Coordinator, Administrative Coordinator, Facilities staff and Medical Team
- Manage all supply ordering including specialist supplies, program supplies and food supplies.
- In the absence of the Camp Director act as the primary contact on camp
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
- Annual Salary of $65,000
- Generous Paid Time Off (PTO) and competitive benefits package: Health Insurance; Retirement Plan, Optional 403b Plan, Life Insurance, Flexible Spending Account, Commuter Benefit Plan, and Y Fitness Center Membership.
- Full-time, Monday to Friday, FLSA Exempt
Some Sundays throughout the year for events and training
Based on need, Asst Director may be asked to participate and assist with supervision of occasional overnight experiences during the summer
- Expected Summer Season Schedule: Monday to Friday 8:00 - 5:30 pm
Additional hours may be required during summer season
This job is for you if:
- You have a passion for camp
- You have a strong affinity for systems and organization
- You enjoy mentoring and coaching young professionals
- You enjoy being part of a collaborative team
- You are a creative thinker who enjoys problem solving
- You have a desire to get "out of the office" and work in an outdoor setting for a few months of the year
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other functions and responsibilities may change or may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
YM & YWHA of Washington Heights & Inwood provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law.
Established in 1917 as one of the first Jewish community centers in New York City, the YM & YWHA of Washington Heights and Inwood (the Y) is a thriving and visionary not-for-profit human services organization in Northern Manhattan. We welcome people of diverse ethnicities and all ages, from pre-school to older adults, into the Y family with a wide range of educational, recreational and social services and programs that focus on improving the quality of their lives. With a long and distinguished history, the Y is a multi-service community center that is well known for its nurturing environment and non-judgmental philosophy.
WORK AUTHORIZATION AND CLEARANCE:
- Documentation of U.S. citizenship or eligibility to work in the U.S.
- Must pass the required background check, medical tests, and clearances.