POSITION SUMMARY: The Camp Manager oversees both summer and year round vacation day camp programs, our drop-in childcare program and our monthly Chai baby program. The successful candidate will have demonstrated leadership skills and the ability to inspire others with his/her commitment to innovative camp programs for children ages 3 - 15 as well as a well-rounded Jewish camp experience. The manager provides daily oversight and supervision of the staff and programs. Our facilities include two indoor swimming pools, a full-size gymnasium with basketball courts and a rock climbing wall, an indoor soccer field that can be utilized for a variety of field games, and an area that can be used for gymnastics. Summer is a particularly busy time on campus when MJCC summer day camp, one of the oldest camping traditions in Portland, is in session. We offer full-day coverage to working families with a variety of options including arts and crafts, swimming, sports, theater, cooking, and more. Since 1947, kids love their summers at the J and return year after year. The MJCC is open to everyone! TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK (These examples represent the essential functions of the position and are not an exhaustive list of all duties that might be assigned.)
1. Assume the day-to-day management responsibilities for daily operations in the camp and drop in childcare departments. Provide leadership in these areas. Research new trends and develop innovative programs and services to keep the MJCC competitive with local day camps and programs.
2. Plan, supervise, evaluate and direct all aspects of camp and childcare programs.
3. Be available onsite while camps are in session, including summer day camps and vacation and holiday camp programs. Note, this position primarily works business hours, but will be expected to have availability varied days and hours, including some holidays. (See the generous holiday policy below)!
4. Hire, train, and mentor personnel in a collegial atmosphere of respect. Ensure that new hire paperwork is complete. Track certification and license expiration dates. Deliver staff orientation and training. Meet regularly with direct reports. Support and reinforce employee culture of customer service. Serve as an exemplary role model.
5. Work with employees to correct performance deficiencies; implement disciplinary actions as needed.6. Fulfill numerous administrative functions including registration, correspondence and records maintenance
6. Support the efforts of the marketing department in the development of the camp guide and programspecific posters and brochures. Actively promote MJCC services to members and the general community.
7. Manage expenditures within identified budget limits and review monthly financial reports.
QUALIFICATIONS: Any combination of experience and training that demonstrates the ability to perform the
duties of the position is qualifying. This would typically include:
Two years' experience managing youth day camp programs
Experience hiring and managing staff
Experience working with youth in a camp setting
Demonstrated knowledge of a variety of youth programs and ability to instruct youth
Budget planning and oversight
Current CPR/First-Aid/AED certification
Excellent organizational and communication skills KNOWLEDGE: Knowledge of operational characteristics, services and activities common to day camp programs. Knowledge of management practices related to program management, personnel management and customer service. Knowledge camp program development and evaluation. SKILL: Strong verbal and written communication skills. Familiarity with modern office equipment including personal computers and Microsoft Office software. Demonstrated skill in hiring, evaluating and supervising staff. ABILITY: Ability to project a positive, professional personal attitude and positive community image of the MJCC at all times. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing. Ability to work cooperatively with other departments within the MJCC. Ability to meet and deal courteously and effectively with other employees, user groups, community groups and the public. Ability to remain calm and use good judgment during confrontational or high-pressure situations that may arise. Ability to maintain accurate, organized records and to prepare reports. PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION: Many duties are performed in an office environment, but the position requires the ability to move throughout the campus throughout each day. Dexterity to operate a computer keyboard and sit for extended periods may be required. This position requires visual and auditory acuity within normal limits and clear speaking ability. This position may require work outside of normal business hours.
45,000 - 55,000
The Mittleman Jewish Community Center (MJCC) is an inclusive and welcoming hub for a diverse community, community, both Jewish and non-Jewish, fostering lifelong wellness and providing dynamic social and educational experiences. The MJCC has been a vital part of the greater Portland community for over 100 years, providing a wide variety of recreational programming for all ages, wonderful fitness facilities, cultural events and more.
WORKING HERE: the MJCC pays the full monthly premium for full-time benefit eligible employees' medical, dental, long term disability, and life insurance coverage at the individual level. A medical buy-up plan is also available. Full time employees also receive a free family membership to the MJCC, as well as discounts on paid programing. The MJCC celebrates both federal and Jewish holidays, with up to 25 paid holidays per year. If you are unable to take the day off on a holiday, it may be floated to another day and used at that time.