Location and Job Title:
Surprise Lake Camp
382 Lake Surprise Road
Cold Spring, NY 10516
Apply externally at https://surpriselake.campintouch.com/ui/forms/appl...
Surprise Lake Camp is looking for professional childcare workers; teachers, friends, and role models who will help our campers learn and develop independence and self-esteem, and encourage them to create and strengthen relationships with each other and the environment.
We are looking for people with a high level of integrity, a positive attitude, commitment to safety, and a determination to give 100% to the campers and the success of Surprise Lake Camp. By joining the SLC team, you will guide our campers to reach their highest potential and become part of over 115 years of camping tradition, all while making a competitive salary in the beauty of the Hudson Valley.
Oversee Staff and Campers (36- 60)
Review and become familiar with the job responsibilities of counselors.
- Collaborate with key staff to create a positive environment of communication, support and inclusivity.
- Work closely with counselors regarding roles and responsibilities within the unit.
- Support the planning and implementation of group, unit and all-camp programming with other staff.
- Organize time off for all unit staff and ensure that all staff are taking appropriate time off.
- Work closely with counselors to provide camper behavioral interventions, and communicate all relevant information to Head Counselor and/or parents as needed.
- Clearly review with each counselor in the unit their personal goals, objectives and progress throughout the summer. Provide frequent feedback through scheduled check-ins, and written evaluations at end-of-summer.
- Make sure all camper-related notes and/or parent communications are logged in Campminder.
- Compose weekly e-mails to families, summarizing the unit's experience, and sharing special moments, milestones, etc.
- Make sure all camper reports, staff evaluations, etc. are completed and submitted at the end of each session.
- Monitor and distribute trip money, monitor letter-writing, and conduct daily inspections of cabins in unit, checking for cleanliness, safety hazards, proper hygiene, etc.
- Be willing to request help, advice, and feedback from peers or support staff.
- Serve as a role model and provide support to campers when needed.
- Fully participate in general staff orientation and all staff meetings.
- Be responsible for knowing and adhering to camp policies, procedures, safety, and emergency policies.
- Report all suspicions of child abuse, bullying, or rule-breaking to proper authorities
- Report injuries or behavioral issue to the supervisor
- Review and comment on camper reports at end of each session.
- Serve as Rosh Shmira (AOD) on assigned nights.
- Participate in and supervise final clean up at end of summer.
- Participate in end-of-summer supervisors debrief meeting.
- Be consistent. Remember that you, too, are worthy of rest and renewal. Take care of yourself.
All positions are residential and are hired for the duration of our summer program. The time commitment is mid-June to late August.
Applicants must be a minimum of 21 years old
- Physically and mentally capable to handle the care of campers and staff.
- Previous camping, education and/or childcare experience preferred.
- Previous leadership experience.
- Strong organizational, communication, and teamwork skills.
- Desire and ability to work with children of all ages.
- Ability to sit, stand, or maintain physical activity for extended periods of time.
- Must exhibit patience and understanding.
- Capable of working under pressure and staying flexible in an ever-changing, sometimes hectic environment.
- Ability to work up to 60 hours weekly.
- Prior Camp Experience a PLUS
Since 1902, Surprise Lake Camp has provided a haven for children in the beautiful mountains of Cold Spring, NY. What makes SLC the best is the beauty of the site, the richness of the people and the program, the sense of history and tradition, and the magic we create when the whole thing comes together. We are particularly proud of our open, inclusive community that is sensitive to the needs of interfaith and diverse families.