Location and Job Title:
Director, Community Engagement
5625 Arlington Ave
Bronx, NY 10471
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to Adriana Rexhepi at firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Summary: The Riverdale Y is offering an exciting opportunity for a creative, energetic, highly-organized, and experienced community professional with excellent relationship-building skills. If you are passionate about strengthening collaborative efforts across the Riverdale Jewish community and between the Jewish community and the greater Riverdale/Kingsbridge/Bronx community, this is the right opportunity for you. We are also looking for someone who can help build and promote a culture of inclusion and connection within and beyond the walls of the Y based on our organizational values.
The Director of Community Engagement will be part of the core staff which is currently building out the Ys emerging Center for Social Responsibility. This person plays an important part in facilitating the Ys role as community convener, in supporting the development of vibrant, local Jewish programs, and in combating antisemitism, racism, and other forms of hate through the creation of impactful interfaith and intergroup programs.
- Coordinating and facilitating the work of the Riverdale Jewish Community Partnership (RJCP), a collaboration of 18 Riverdale Jewish communal institutions from across the denominational spectrum, including serving as liaison with the 50th NYPD precinct.
- Coordinating events and programs to combat hate and antisemitism through the cultivation of strong interfaith and community-based partnerships.
- Serving as the lead Jewish educator at the Y and supporting departments to infuse Jewish culture and tradition in their programs, including developing and coordinating holiday (Jewish and secular) programming to help Y staff, members/participants, and the larger community mark these important calendar events.
- Supervising an Israeli shaliach/shlicha in strengthening Israel programming at the Y and in the larger community.
- Working closely with the Riverdale Y professional team to develop and market the programs and to connect Y members and participants to these initiatives.
- Assessing the needs of the respective institutions and community members and spearheading efforts to develop programming to respond to those needs.
- Managing government and UJA/JCRC grants, including budget oversight.
- Developing and managing the budget of the department.
Job Expectations: This role is full-time, in person, Monday to Friday with occasional Sundays and evenings for meetings, programs or activities. This is a full-time position reporting to the Chief Operating Officer.
Job Qualifications: The ideal candidate is an effective community organizer with experience in formal or informal education. Candidates should possess the following qualities and experience:
- Warm and welcoming personality, relating well to people of all ages
- Calm under pressure, customer service-oriented, flexible, and good sense of humor
- Ability to hold the big picture in mind as well as tend to the small details
- Passion for and ability to cultivate and strengthen relationships and possessing a collaborative mindset in working with community-based institutions and as part of the Riverdale Y team
- Cultural competency across the denominational spectrum of Jewish life
- Experience and comfort in navigating the issues, language and dynamics of oppression and bias
- Strong knowledge of Jewish holidays, traditions and culture and the ability to integrate this into all levels of programming
- Ability to assess and strategize appropriate programming for children, teens and adults
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Highly-organized with attention to detail and follow-through, and the ability to multitask
- Experience with budget development and administration desired
- Fluency with Microsoft Office or Google Apps
- Comfort using social media to market programs
- Bachelors Degree in Education, Social Work, Jewish Communal Service, or related field; Masters Degree preferred
The Riverdale Y is a 50,000 sq. ft. Jewish Community Center that provides educational, recreational, cultural, and wellness programming for children and adults of all ages. The Y features an early childhood center, camps and afterschool programs, senior center, performing arts center, and health & wellness center that includes cardio and free weight studios, group exercise classes, gymnasium, swimming pool, steam room, sauna and massage therapy. The Riverdale Y is rooted in universal values central to Jewish life. We celebrate diversity and welcome the entire community.