Location and Job Title:
YM & YWHA of Washington Heights & Inwood
54 Nagle Ave
New York, NY 10040
Under the supervision of the Kitchen Manager/Chef the Assistant Cook/Mashgiach is responsible for food preparation, cooking and service, supervision of kitchen staff, and upholding all sanitation standards set forth by the NYC DOHMH and DFTA. Reporting to the Y's Kashrut Certification Supervisor for Kashrut questions and standards.
- Prepare, cook and supervise portioning and serving of food.
- Supervise and coordinate activities of staff engaged in food preparation, meal service, and cleanup.
- Supervise safe handling and proper temperature control of prepared foods.
- Ensure functioning and cleaning of kitchen and kitchen equipment, dining areas, and adherence to sanitation standards.
- Assist in taking monthly physical inventory and maintaining order of food storage area.
- Attend training as requested by the director.
- In the absence of the Kitchen Manager/Chef assume the responsibilities for coordination of Kitchen Staff.
- Responsible for supervision of Kashrut within the Y's kitchen as mashgiach temidi including inspecting food deliveries and supervising kitchen staff regarding Kashrut
- Maintaining Y's kashrut standards under guidance of certifying Kashrut agency
Work hours: Full-time; 7 hour day (with half hour unpaid break), 5 days per week
Classification: Unionized FLSA Non-exempt
- $40,0000 annually, paid hourly
- Eligible for salary increases under the collective bargaining agreement (CBA)
- Competitive benefits package (Health Insurance; Generous Paid Time Off; Optional Pension Plan; Optional 403b Plan;Life Insurance; Flexible Spending Account; Commuter Benefit Plan;Free Y Fitness Center/Gym Membership)
This job description is not designed to cover a comprehensive listing of all activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other functions and responsibilities may change or may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
YM & YWHA of Washington Heights & Inwood provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law.
- Two years' experience cooking in an institutional or professional setting
- Must have or be willing to obtain a food Food Protection Certificate
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs
- Ability to stand for a 7 hour shift (with half hour break)
- Ability to read, write and speak English
- Computer literate
- Knowledge of Kashrut food supervision and preparation
- Received at least one dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine
prior to beginning your employment, except for those who obtain an exception
due to medical reasons through the reasonable accommodation process.
Established in 1917 as one of the first Jewish community centers in New York City, the YM & YWHA of Washington Heights and Inwood (the Y) is a thriving and visionary not-for-profit human services organization in Northern Manhattan. We welcome people of diverse ethnicities and all ages, from pre-school to older adults, into the Y family with a wide range of educational, recreational and social services and programs that focus on improving the quality of their lives. With a long and distinguished history, the Y is a multi-service community center that is well known for its nurturing environment and non-judgmental philosophy.